Question about weeds and party walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a party wall with my neighbour to my left. Throughout the spring and summer they pull out any weeds from their side and throw them over onto my patio. Does anyone have any advice? I thought that a party wall was joint responsibility and therefore I should not be liable for anything growing on their side of the wall.? I have always just cleared them up but another very large batch has just come over, meaning I will have to clean this up and at the moment I have a bad hip problem so this wont be easy.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
JJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd pick the up and put them in my compost.

If you can't, won't, or don't compost, perhaps there is no benefit, and in any case, its doubtful that the neighbors are trying to be helpful.

Other than the composting suggestion, this isn't really a horticultural matter, but a legal one.
Consider your options, both criminal and civil.
I would start with the delivery of a firmly worded letter. That might do the trick.
Still, you might want to have it notarized and sent with proof-of-delivery. In case you need to present it later in small claims court.
I think it may be called County Court in the UK.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would go with the communicating option, but say. 'Look, I have a bad hip and can't cope at the moment, would you bring them round and put them in the compost for me please?' or 'Could you drop them in this garden bag please?'. Nothing like a bit of being nice when it is unexpected and you don't have to be to get through to people.

If it doesn't work then you have the option of a firmly worded, recorded, letter, and serve them right.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Of course, the idea of the OP having a compost pile was my optimistic spin on the situation.
In fact, is there any reason for the neighbor to think that the OP would want the plant matter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Generally such acts come under the heading of, Anti-Social behaviour. In past times. A word in the ear of the offender and perhaps some empty threats may have prevailed. Times have changed and the world has become so very...PC. In the main. Police will will steer clear, much as they do in domestics. Best retort is. Contact your local council authority, there is usually some local bye law or regulation that can be of help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Generally such acts come under the heading of, Anti-Social behaviour. In past times. A word in the ear of the offender and perhaps some empty threats may have prevailed. Times have changed and the world has become so very...PC. In the main. Police will will steer clear, much as they do in domestics. Best retort is. Contact your local council authority, there is usually some local bye law or regulation that can be of help.
Like Will Smith slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars! Wait ...

Ask a Question