Root Pruning Question on Thuja Plicata Zebrina Western Red Cedar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 9ft tall Thuja Plicata Zebrina Western Red Cedar. Trunk's 4.5" dia trunkand has two surface roots at the base growing beside each other. My first impulse was to cut the smaller one on the left, when they were much smaller. After some hesitation and procrastination, they've grown. The one on the left I'm considering pruning is the size of my index finger, maybe smaller. The tree itself has a very strong root system all the way around, as I've seen some of them when weeding or diggin near it. It's been vigorously growing in it's location 2+yrs now and is what I'd consider pretty well established after the growth spurt we got last year of about 2 ft. I do still water when needed.

These two roots growing so closely parallel to each other at a young age don't seem like a great idea - not to me anyway. I think they'd develop potential issues later on that wouldn't be so easily remedied by the time they become an issue, possibly even some rot between them. I've thought about taking my razor sharp chisel and cleanly removing the left smaller root so it can heal up nicely and not look back as the other one doesn't have to compete. I have done this on multiple maple trees that were absolutely plagued with strangle or girdle roots that most would've given up on quickly, and had excellent success. Even saving trees that were dying before hand. So at least, I've had practice and know how to be careful.

This tree is important to us and we're pretty attached to it. :) I was hoping I could get some input from you all first, if I may? I know the tree won't like it, but it's still early and cool, so it's my thinking that what we'd be preventing in the long run would be worth it? Am I wrong?

Also, and maybe this warrants a different thread - please let me know if so. I can't find definitive info on this tree. Some say full sun, some say shade. Some say drought tolerant while others say wet lands? And the height,.. some say 25ft x 15ft wide while others say 125 ft tall x 40 ft wide. Oddly enough, this sis supposed to be a native,... what gives? lol! Does anyone know this tree enough to tell me about it?

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Attachments

• IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1419.JPG
    IMG_1419.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't consider such roots to be a problem and would just let them be.
However if you did remove one of those roots at this stage, the tree would likely recover fine.

Western Red-cedar (Thuja plicata) is an evergreen, coniferous tree, in the Cypress Family (Cupressaceae), native along the coast of Western North America from Alaska south to northwestern California and with scattered inland population as far east as Alberta, Idaho, and western Montana. It does grow in mesic conditions, such as moist forests where it can access ample water throughout its growing season.It will grow faster and more full in full sun conditions, though it can survive in bright or partial shade conditions as well.
Western red-cedar does grow in some habitats that would be considered wetlands. However it would still be prudent, if planting the tree in saturated ground, to plant on a slope or mound so the root-crown would have some drainage.

Ask a Question