Meanest Roses - Party Hardy or something else?

Reaction score
I've come across more varieties of roses than I knew existed this last year, and while I hate trimming or planting any of them, I'd say the meanest of all the roses has got to be Party Hardy. Those sumbucks have the thickest and nastiest thorns of all roses, I think.
Again, I know I don't have the most experience with roses, and those are really the one variety I can name, but is there anything meaner than those?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I only grow miniature roses. One of them doesn't have any thorns at all:D It makes it very easy to take care of it, to prune it and to wash it.
But I also have a 'mean' miniature rose, haha, it has very thick thorns. I'm not sure what variety it is though, because I didn't buy it, I received it as a gift. It produces pale pink, fragrant flowers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are many extremely thorny roses... but thank you for introducing me to Rosa x 'Party Hardy', a beautifully full, deep pink rose bred for colder climates. If I was in USDA Zone 3, I would grow it, thorns or not.
...and I also learned a new, colourfully, colloquial expression: 'sumbucks'. Everyday, the Forums teach me so much.

Last edited:

Ask a Question