Selling house, want to dig up some plants, sell on gumtree - do's and don'ts -ADVICE?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
of course the couple of replies only serve to 'tell off' and offer NOTHING...i repeat NOTHING of any value whatsoever. Shame, shame on you. This IS literally one of the very worst forums i have ever known. Utterly useless. Unfriendly. Unhelpful.

So you completely ignored my post then @garjobo79?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The things you describe wanting to move sound quite large, but if there is anything that would go in an eleven inch pot I have been using buckets bought from B&Q with holes drilled in the bottom. They are only £1 each, a lot cheaper than equivalent pots, and have a convenient handle for transporting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hello fellow mucky fingers.

I have a few good sized bamboo, black bamboo, oliver tree ( 7ft but in a raised bed ), plenty of laurel ( 3 - 4ft )...italian cypress ( im aware anything like that likely will die/brown if i move them )

So, never really planned out my garden, as a result moved about plants a fair bit - some died but mostly , the ones mentioned, were ok .

SO - 'forced' to sell house ( long story ) the greenhouse will stay but i certaintly want to dig up a few plants ( mostly in raised wooden beds i made anyway ) - looking on Gumtree, i see so silly prices ( talk about B&Q! ) - but if they are selling..i want to join in.

Question is -any thoughts on me digging up a few, trying to sell them for a few extra pennies? any do's and dont's. Im aware some plants, dig a trench around , water a lot, wait a few days or longer and then dig up. Re-pot them..and take a few photos and see if anyones interested. Sadly where im moving too is rented etc no garden etc ( again long story - women pah! )

Just wondered and thoughts really.

CHEERS
Likely too late in replying.

Shipping costs would eat into most of any profit you could potentially make.

Sorry to say.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello fellow mucky fingers.

I have a few good sized bamboo, black bamboo, oliver tree ( 7ft but in a raised bed ), plenty of laurel ( 3 - 4ft )...italian cypress ( im aware anything like that likely will die/brown if i move them )

So, never really planned out my garden, as a result moved about plants a fair bit - some died but mostly , the ones mentioned, were ok .

SO - 'forced' to sell house ( long story ) the greenhouse will stay but i certaintly want to dig up a few plants ( mostly in raised wooden beds i made anyway ) - looking on Gumtree, i see so silly prices ( talk about B&Q! ) - but if they are selling..i want to join in.

Question is -any thoughts on me digging up a few, trying to sell them for a few extra pennies? any do's and dont's. Im aware some plants, dig a trench around , water a lot, wait a few days or longer and then dig up. Re-pot them..and take a few photos and see if anyones interested. Sadly where im moving too is rented etc no garden etc ( again long story - women pah! )

Just wondered and thoughts really.

CHEERS
Let them go friend, let the next person have them because your attachment and greed will probably kill them if you try to to \move them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What a totally useless 'forum' this is! Not for the first time i have posted on here - the LACK of responce is ridiclious ! call yourself a forum!!! pathetic.
I find your annoyance chimes with me a bit so I will give you my limited knowledge. I moved about 3 years ago I removed about 50- 100 plants most were successful from shrubs to little plants. I moved at the right time end of April

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Part 2 I'm in Wiltshire in u.k but this forum is probably worldwide and the profiles of people don't seem to mention where they are from? So anyway none of the plants you mentioned I have grown but generally I would give it a go it was hassle and sometimes I wondered if it was worth it but that April I took up the large front lawn as property was all grass and over the weeks planted the whole lawn area with the stuff I had brought and most took. So come 3 months later I had a complete new garden that all the neighbors hated and made me aware of this. Some tips are if your going to plant soon then I would just put them in plastic bags far cheaper than buying pots and hardly any weight plants are normally pretty resilient. Another tip was leaving bigger well established where they were in the old property and just taking a "slice" off them with plenty of root on it. So I didn't totally decimate the old garden and the old garden and some shrubs were just too big to dig up but could have a much loved have the same shrub again!.

Ask a Question