Advice on selling trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I set up an estate tree nursery a couple of years ago and now have around 550 trees, 18 species, ranging from 2m London Plane trees, Wild/ Bird Cherry, Wild Pear, Sweet/ Horse Chestnut, to smaller Silver Birch, English/Pin/Holm Oak, Walnut and Copper Beech. These are all pot grown and easy to transport.

My goal was to sell these to local garden centres and nurseries but there doesn't seem to be much interest. Any advice on where I could sell these, ideally in bulk at wholesale prices, would be really appreciated. Based in Sussex and wondering if I should be considering landscape gardening firms or housing developers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A quick Google of things like 'tree planting east sussex' or 'trees for sale' seems to show that most of the suppliers are linked to a nursery growing their own, but it might be worth sending them an e-mail offering bulk wholesale prices. Have a look at the 'similar subjects' when you google, the wider the net the better the chance of a catch, and e-mails are free.
The other thing that occurs is that Highways dept. must use a lot of trees.

They say that you can reckon the age of a hedge if you count fifty years for each species growing in it, I used to cut one at a seventeenth century farmhouse that pre-dated the house by a couple of hundred years by that reckoning. It probably did, but it made me think what a gas it would be to plant a 'six or seven hundred year old' hedge. :)

PS I got quite a jump on people watching my story channel when I went on Radio Sussex, they are always on the lookout for something local that's got a bit of interest and won't cost them.

Last edited:

Ask a Question