Scented Pelargonium lost its scent ???

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All. I purchased a pelargonium crispum online from pernellgerver.com. When I received it in the mail it had the lemon scent but that faded over a few days and now the pelargonium leaves have NO scent. I even crushed a few leaves thinking perhaps the oil on the leaf had dissipated but still nothing.

Has anyone heard of scented leaf pelargoniums losing their scent? I checked online and couldn’t find anything like this. My fear is that the vendor sprayed it with a lemon scent before shipping and that I got scammed. The leaf structure looks like a crispum. Is there even a non scented variety that can look like a scented leaf variety?

Totally stumped. thoughts/insights welcome.

Reaction score
Country
United States
C9E556BB-E00A-45C0-9F79-382E712F2B17.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum.
If it were you, not the plant, I think you would notice other things not smelling as well. Lack of micronutrients can do it. It seems unlikely so quickly, but you could try a dose of something like liquid seaweed that contains a good all round variety.

It is not a plant I am familiar with, but the leaves look like the right sort of thing for a pelargonium, and I can't imagine a plants-man who did such things would last long.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not just me. My wife could smell the lemon right away when we got it and now nothing too.

It's absolutely bizarre as I've never experienced this before. Very strong smell after opening the packaging. Weeks later nothing!

I repotted it (as it is in the pic) and fertilized it. I think I will also check with our local university's plant dept to see what they say.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've noticed that cut stems lose their scent after a little while. But my main plant, growing outdoors, still has a good scent when brushed up against. A friend made geranium perfume from the scented g.

Ask a Question