Some scented indoor plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Howdy!

Uh.. can someone give me suggestions on which scented indoor plant is best? And do you have any idea if it is available in peninsular India?

Reaction score
Now that I think of it, I have about 10 different indoor plants and not a single one is scented. As soon as I read this thread, I got up and started smelling them. I have a list of names of them, but not on me. I used to have this one plant called Kalabo (something along the lines of that), and it was scented. I believe it is native to China, so it may be available.

Reaction score
Go to bhg.com/gardening/houseplants. Its the Better Homes and Gardens website and they have a nice list with photos of some fragrant houseplants. If you Google it you will find a bunch of sites with lists of plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Oh..I will surely try. Thanks :)
Now that I think of it, I have about 10 different indoor plants and not a single one is scented. As soon as I read this thread, I got up and started smelling them. I have a list of names of them, but not on me. I used to have this one plant called Kalabo (something along the lines of that), and it was scented. I believe it is native to China, so it may be available.

Reaction score
Although I can think of quite a few beautifully scented indoor plants - there are not many that would offer year round fragrance as most scented indoor plants tend to be seasonal - so think that you will not only be limited - as to what will happily grow in your climate but also - that you may well have to choose a variety of different plants that will follow on from each other throughout the seasons - in order to get a year round fragrance.

A few that may well be worth considering are some of the Scented Leaf Geraniums, Gardenias and the many varieties of Dwarf Jasmines.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
One of my miniature roses produces fragrant flowers. Their scent is very, very sweet and delicate, so you have to be close to smell it. If you look for something more intense, try Hyacinths. They smell beautifully!:) My aunt used to grow them in pots. When I was a child, I thought that they're the most gorgeous plants.

Reaction score
One of my miniature roses produces fragrant flowers. Their scent is very, very sweet and delicate, so you have to be close to smell it. If you look for something more intense, try Hyacinths. They smell beautifully!:) My aunt used to grow them in pots. When I was a child, I thought that they're the most gorgeous plants.

I love hyacinths. They are beautiful and smell lovely! Miniature roses are very fragrant as well. I have kept them indoors as they are wonderful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love hyacinths. They are beautiful and smell lovely! Miniature roses are very fragrant as well. I have kept them indoors as they are wonderful.
I keep all my miniature roses indoors too. Fortunately, they grow well in pots:) I find them the most beautiful, they make my room look really lovely.
I wish all of them produced fragrant flowers!

Reaction score
I too immediately thought of hyacinths as being a good choice for scent - but am not so sure that they would do very well in India - as they don't do very well in heat and much prefer cooler less sunny conditions.
I did however just remember - that lavender is often grown in hot climates as an indoor plant and think it may well be a good choice - as its fragrance is year round rather than seasonal :)

Reaction score
Don't forget about herbs! I grow a lot of herbs inside as well as outside so I have them handy in the winter. They are very fragrant. Rosemary is my personal favorite.

I think I might just start some lavender for inside too, Gata :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rosemary and honeysuckle are my favorite scents. In the spring the smell of honeysuckle is so refreshing, I really like to have it in my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Thanks a lot people!! I guess Indoor air purifiers is a better option though?

Reaction score
I use essential oils that I mix with baking soda to produce a nice fragrance throughout the house. So far, my favorites are lavender and rose. I just add about 15 to 20 drops to a quarter of a cup of baking soda and it creates a very clean, subtle fragrance. I also dab a few drops of the oils on the paper inner tube of a roll of toilet paper and the bathroom smells fresh as well.

Ask a Question