Sand cherries

Reaction score
I would suspect it is not so much the heat as the lack of cold. We get hot, but not humid, I live in a high desert so we get days often over 100, but we have plenty of winter also..

Where I am we get between 540-660 chill hours per year...not sure if that would be enough though.

Sand Cherry tree looks very beautiful, and one of the most easiest tree to grow. It grows in all, except for damp and humid climates. It is best to plant in direct sunlight for the most part of the day. Well-drained soil works best. Sand cherry tree is adaptable to poor soil.

Yeah, that's what I suspected would be the problem. It's the problem with real cherries too. There are a few real cherries that are low chill but Florida's humid climate makes them susceptible to diseases. Except for Taiwan cherries, they were created by the University of Florida to be able to handle our hot, humid climate :D

Ah well, if sand cherries don't work at least there's Taiwan cherries and lots of fake cherries (Eugenia species, etc).

Reaction score
Nevermind about the Taiwan cherries :( I just realized that they don't have edible fruit. It's just an ornamental cherry tree.

Reaction score
Ornamental trees are nice too, if you have the space to plant them. I would choose Taiwan cherries if I had the space.

Ask a Question