When should i spread sand on lawn?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Zone: 8 Bermuda. I just scalped an area with some low spots. When is the best time of the year to do this? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You don't. Why use something as useless as sand? Fill the low spots with compost mixed with garden soil. Bermuda, as soon as the first frost, will go dormant, turn brown and stop growing. Grass will grow much faster in soil/compost than in sterile sand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
The only time to use sand is if you have a heavy soil, but then only use horticultural grade sand not builders sand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You don't. Why use something as useless as sand? Fill the low spots with compost mixed with garden soil. Bermuda, as soon as the first frost, will go dormant, turn brown and stop growing. Grass will grow much faster in soil/compost than in sterile sand.

Noticed Home Depot has many kinds of Compost. Is this one OK?

Attachments

• cow.png
    cow.png
    233.8 KB · Views: 355
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Noticed Home Depot has many kinds of Compost. Is this one OK?
Excellent stuff and great price. Buy a lot of it and use it on everything. But on your lawn mix with garden soil as the compost will go away in time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Excellent stuff and great price. Buy a lot of it and use it on everything. But on your lawn mix with garden soil as the compost will go away in time.

The lawn is scalped down to about 1".When it goes dormant how much of the mixture should i use? How much over the grass?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Don't quite know what I've just done but sure t will sort itself in due course. I just wanted to make a point about top dressing lawns with sand compost or soil. Any top dressing should be brushed in well so as you can see the sward through the top dressing, the sward must be able to breath and receive daylight otherwise it will choke become poor and weak allowing moss and weeds to infest the area.Groundsmen use a tool called a trulute or just lute To Brush OR Screed In The Top dressing But A Wide Rake With A BLADE On Top WILL Do THE Job. If you feel very energetic just use a very stiff broom.

Ask a Question