Sand cherries

Reaction score
My sand cherries are ready, will be making jelly this weekend! Woo Hoo!! Anyone else utilizing this wonderful little cherry bush?

Reaction score
darn I dont. They are a bush variety, the only kind I can grow I guess. I have killed three cherry trees, but these bush cherries do well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Never tried them before! Do they taste very similar to cherries from trees? I have a great recipe for Cherry Bakewell Cake if you are interested :D

Reaction score
they are kind of between a sour and a sweet cherry, not real sour but not real sweet either. I like them a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Here it is!

http://idlebakes.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/food-for-picnic-part-1-gluten-free.html

I just used regular self-raising flour, not the gluten free stuff, and I used vanilla instead of almond extract. I also drizzled it with icing made using rose water. Yummy! :) Oh and you have to pay attention to the bit where it says leave the cake to cool completely before taking it out of the tin... I got impatient and nearly ended up with a cake in bits!! :oops:

Reaction score
Does anyone know if sand cherries definitely don't do well in hot/humid places? Awhile back I had sand cherries on my list of edibles that I want to grow, but then I found out they only really do well in the northern states. That's a shame...

I'm in Florida, in zone 9a of the USDA hardy zone.

Reaction score
I would suspect it is not so much the heat as the lack of cold. We get hot, but not humid, I live in a high desert so we get days often over 100, but we have plenty of winter also..

Reaction score
The sand cherry grows best and is often encountered in the northern parts of the United States and the eastern provinces of Canada where the temperature does not drop below -35 degrees Fahrenheit.

Sand Cherry tree looks very beautiful, and one of the most easiest tree to grow. It grows in all, except for damp and humid climates. It is best to plant in direct sunlight for the most part of the day. Well-drained soil works best. Sand cherry tree is adaptable to poor soil.

Reaction score
I never had one but I'm thinking about planting. I've seen some pics and they look great.

Ask a Question