Greensand

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Incorporating greensand is probably one of the oldest means used to amend the soil that there is other than manures. Greensand is a marine sediment that has many trace minerals including iron which are essential to health plant growth. Greensand is called greensand because it is usually green but sometimes it is brownish. For those of you who are digging up your back yard and making a garden, vegetable or flower, incorporate into the soil as much of this natural substance as you can afford. It will pay for itself over time and it lasts a long long time in your soil. If you have a garden already just spread it all over the place and rake it in. You can't really use too much and every garden needs it

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never heard of greensand, would a person just go to the local garden store and purchase greensand? Is it available in all of the states, I see you are in Texas.

Reaction score
I've only heard of using greensand in hard, clay soils. Does it have a similar benefit to non-clay compositions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've only heard of using greensand in hard, clay soils. Does it have a similar benefit to non-clay compositions?
Many people are under the misconception that adding sand to clay soils benefits it. Clay + Sand = BRICK. All sand will do is add volume. You should always add organic material to clay along with sand no matter if it is greensand or not. But greensand is NOT just sand. Greensand is a marine deposit comprised of silicates and minerals, iron, manganeze, to name a couple not ground up and abraded rocks such as quartz of which regular sand is comprised. Greensand should and can be used where ever and in what ever type of soil you have.

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. I did know that sand + clay = brick. I've really never had issues with too much clay in the soil so I never had to deal with it.

Ask a Question