Sago Palm leaves dying?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, does anyone have some insight on what's going on with my sago palm? The leaves are decaying and I've done some research but it doesn't look like typical leaf curl that I'm seeing on search results. The one behind it seemed fine, but looks like it's starting to show similar symptoms. We're in southern California, and any insight you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    312.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 116
Reaction score
Country
United States
We’ve had no hard freezes. If it’s the aftermath of scale insects, should I spray or will it recover on its own?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We’ve had no hard freezes. If it’s the aftermath of scale insects, should I spray or will it recover on its own?
If it is scale you must get rid of them. It looks as if there are not anymore there or at least not visible in the pics. Search the underside of the leaves and the stems for soft scale insects. Soft scale insects will attach themselves to the plant, overwinter and lay their eggs in the spring only to hatch out again at the beginning of summer. If it is soft scale insect spray the entire plant with Neem Oil to kill the eggs. The tree will eventually rejuvenate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It could be damage from when the leaves were new and soft. They are very delicate when they are unfolding. Since it’s about time for a new set of leaves, cut off all the old ones and watch the new ones for scale and grasshoppers. Just be real gentle around the new leaves.

Ask a Question