Roses in my pots keeps dying

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello Forum,

I am from India, Pune.
The issue is whenever I bring a rose plant at my home, they die after one or two months.
Grafted roses have never survived at my place and I don't know why.
1. I take care of proper watering (No over watering, no under watering).
2. I provide them proper fertilizer as and when needed (As prescribed on the packet).
3. Sunlight: provide good sunlight.

Still I do not know what wrong am I doing and need someone's input on this.

Regards
Nitin V Palmure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do wonder about climate. most roses like a temperate climate, from what I can see you have a tropical one with a monsoon period and your annual rainfall is forty something inches, as opposed to about twenty five here. However, the fact that they are for sale would imply that they should grow there, and there are an awful lot of varieties suited to all sorts of weather conditions, presumably they offer appropriate ones for sale.
Planting depth can be an issue, but I would not expect it to kill them
You say you are careful with watering, disease such as aphids, thrips or fungal diseases should be apparent, and you should have plenty of sunlight, so there shouldn't be issues there.
The other main factor is soil, roses like a fairly rich soil that is well drained. You say you fertilize appropriately, how is your drainage? Mind, chemical fertilizer is never as good as food from organic material in the soil.
My only other suggestion is that you look around for other people growing roses successfully in the area and strike up a conversation. Most gardeners like talking about gardens in my experience, and most people respond well to positive comments on their efforts and are happy to share advice.
I am sorry I don't have a more definitive solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Nitin. I had a friend in Pune several years ago. We lost contact. I can't add much more to what Oliver has written. I have grown roses for over sixty years and have to admit, the more one learns, the more there is to learn. I will help you all I can.
Can you tell me more about how you grow your roses and perhaps which ones you grow. Best wishes. Mike.

Reaction score
Country
United States
IF your plants are in the container, you need to match the incoming water pH to the soil pH. If you use alkaline water over and over the nutrients become locked up and not useable. If you use RO water or Rain with a little ppm of fertilizer with every watering your plants will not die.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not nitin but one tip is to always match the soil pH with the plants intended to be used. If your soil doesn't match the plant's pH then don't plant it there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Forum,

I am from India, Pune.
The issue is whenever I bring a rose plant at my home, they die after one or two months.
Grafted roses have never survived at my place and I don't know why.
1. I take care of proper watering (No over watering, no under watering).
2. I provide them proper fertilizer as and when needed (As prescribed on the packet).
3. Sunlight: provide good sunlight.

Still I do not know what wrong am I doing and need someone's input on this.

Regards
Nitin V Palmure
Please refer to my comment that seems to have gone to ONEYE.

Ask a Question