Roses in pots help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small rose garden but also have rose growing in RHS pots.

When should I repot with fresh compost no or wait till spring.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I cut back my rose bush once my area has had its first frost. If I wait too long then I will cut back the plant in the spring, the same for re-potting any plants I have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'd wait until spring to repot and refresh the soil. Any disturbance is stressful for the plant, even gentle repotting, and the plant won't have cold to cope with in the spring--one less stress. If repotted now, the rose would have cold to cope with, as well as adjusting to different soil and some root disturbance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think you should wait till spring. Repotting plants right before winter is never a good idea, especially if they go dormant. I don't fertilize my roses during the colder months, I just water them once a week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From what I know, my friends who tend roses don't repot for 2 years. As long as the pot has space for the roots. So it depends largely on the size of the pot. The growing of roots depend on the nutrients particularly the irrigation. Watering is controlled so that roots won't grow too fast. As for the flowering, you have to let the pot go dry for 2 days before giving it a little water. That is stressing the plant so it will bear flowers.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Pests can cause problems to your rose gardens and you must watch out for caterpillars, bugs and parasites that love roses. An organic gardening ways to counter this is to add a predator of these pests into the food chain of your garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I spent 5 years working at a rose Nursery I was taut everything about the Genera from Planting to budding & pruning Even went to a few shows exhibiting them, Hampton Court Included. I was never paid much as I was a boy out of school but they did Sent Me to Writtle Agricultural college Where I went on to learn Heaps more about all plants & Horticultural & I am vary thankful to John Deemer (my old boss At Warley rose Gardens) .... But back to Roses Before I get into my life history lol. At the Rose Nursery & all other Roses Growers I Know of, always lift their roses out of the fields around December To February & so I have always Advised moving roses In winter. The Reasons I give for this is when a roses is dormant and dropped its leaves it does not need to drink water like in spring or summer so it is not depending on its roots for water like they do in summer to feed the leaves and buds. Roses do not move well during there growing season as they have vary fine fibres roots. If you do wait till summer then extra care must be taken so as not to damage them. Have you ever seen Bear root roses sold during winter?................In summer a rose would be dead in a day if left like that but in winter the can Survive for a month in know more than a plastic bin liner. A tip would be give it a little bone meal when repotting & enjoy your rose

Ask a Question