roses for beginners

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi! I really want to start a rose garden, but I have absolutely no clue where to start. I'm on the border of zone 7 and 8. what soil do I use? do I plant in pots, straight into the ground, etc.? what type would grow best and produce a lot? how much water and sun? I want to know everything! I would love some help!!! I've tried reading tons of articles, but I always get confused. can you just grow roses inside? how does that work? thanks!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) What kind of roses are you looking for? Climbing, standard, bushes etc?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome! I've been growing and enjoying roses for years, and here's what I've found from experience.
The easiest roses to grow are own-root (not grafted) roses, preferably antique roses. They are practically indestructible and bloom frequently.
Plant in the ground if at all possible since the root system is pretty big at maturity. Soil doesn't have to be anything special--roses prefer a slightly clayey soil, but will grow in almost anything except pure rock. Good drainage is needed--roses don't like to be soggy. The first year water deeply once a week if it doesn't rain. After that, leave them on their own unless you have a serious drought. "Artificial" watering encourages shallow root development, and you want your roses' roots to go deep. Sun exposure as a rule is 6-8 hours a day, although there are some roses that can grow in shade.
I'm in zone 8a, and I fertilize my roses once a year with a good, all-around fertilizer. They probably don't need it, but it makes me feel good! I fertilize in February when the very first growth starts to show.
Here is a website for a rose grower that has all sorts of roses. I suggest you contact them and ask for a paper catalog--it's practically a manual on rose growing. www.chambleeroses.com
Meredith, please let us know where you are (state?) and if you are in a state like Texas that has 8 growing areas, be as specific as you can about your soil, minimum and maximum temperatures, anything that will help us help you!

Reaction score
Welcome!
Personally, I would start with already grown roses and then transfer them into my yard. I feel like this would be the easiest form of starting a rose garden, but you could grow them from seed if you like. Planting the roses from seed isn't too hard. I would suggest growing the roses outside versus inside. They need plenty of sunlight.

Ask a Question