Roses done for?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I transplanted these roses to a different location last fall and they started to come back this spring, although not really strong. The new growth leaves eventually turned light green/yellow with red dots on them. Now all of the new growth is gone and only the old leaves remained. The roses did bloom just a few flowers in the spring. I did give them fertilizer in the spring. What could be the issue? Did I over water or give too much fertilizer? Bad soil? The roses are the cheap variety I bought at Home Depot. I don't remember the variety, but they product a single large flower. Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• 20220615_193435.jpg
    20220615_193435.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220615_193445.jpg
    20220615_193445.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220615_193454.jpg
    20220615_193454.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome themetallurgist. :)

My first thought was black spot fungus but the spots are too precise for that. I think it is a pest attack. Have you checked under the leaves and on the stems for insects?

To help cut down pests and diseases roses are best planted in bare ground, so I suggest removing the turf from around the base, perhaps a diameter of eighteen inches for each rose. Living in a hot area they will need more water and this in turn washes nutrients from the soil. Here in Britain gardeners tend to feed roses three times a year. Yours may need may be four feeds, spaced out during the growing and flowering period. The last feed here would usually be around late July allowing for the plants to settle down before dormancy in late autumn (fall) and winter. When you feed, stick to the recommended dosage on the packaging as overfeeding can do as much damage as underfeeding.

Cheap roses should thrive the same as expensive ones given the right conditions. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Does that soil percolate? Is that a morning sun fence? I think they wane because the roots are choking. I just need to prove it. How did you plant them? Loose soil that later compacts is disheartening. They look so good to start!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for the reply! That is a morning sun fence and Sheal, I think you're right about pest attack. The leaves simply went missing. The dead ones didn't die and fall off, they must have been eaten. As for the soil they were planted in loose rich soil, but may have compacted later. The surrounding dirt is clay more or less, so it really wouldn't get much drainage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you all for the reply! That is a morning sun fence and Sheal, I think you're right about pest attack. The leaves simply went missing. The dead ones didn't die and fall off, they must have been eaten. As for the soil they were planted in loose rich soil, but may have compacted later. The surrounding dirt is clay more or less, so it really wouldn't get much drainage.
That clay bowl drowns mine. I got some advice about using hardwood bark up top on the soil and since that first year where I started with compost and bark atop I have just added hardwood bark each year as a maintenance mulching. Now I have to fend off the deer. They leave some leaves with a semicircle bite but will nip the flowers clean off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have knockouts or camellia. Perhaps you should change your rose type. :) I don't think it was me who told you about the mulch as I've never used it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Its not done for yet...I would remove some the grass around it, let the roots establish, and add mulch. If you dig them out, add compost on the bottom and around the root ball. There is rose food you can use, when did you fertilize? For insects, I use Bonide Systematic Granules and it helps my roses and my other 100 flowers in the yard getting chomped from insects. If the leaves just disappear its an animal eating them. I hear coyote urine is really good!
Those black spots don't look like black spot (my one rose has it now, coppercide is good for that) could be a bug, try the systematic granules.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I some times used to get quite large leylandi hedges to cut and always thought one day I would get a large bin, a condenser and a wallpaper stripper and try some steam distillation, bet that would make an unpalatable, smelly oil.

Ask a Question