Help with establishing walled garden roses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was looking for some advice on how to quickly establish a rose climber on a garden wall. Attached are some images of what I am aiming for. I want them to cover the majority of the wall (horizontally and vertically) so that you can't see too much of the brick. The main tips I am looking for are:

> Which are the best variety to achieve this
> How would you best go about it
> If I wanted it to look like the pictures quickly would it be worth spending extra on already established climbing roses?

Thanks for any help offered.

Attachments

• Rose Climbers 2.PNG
    Rose Climbers 2.PNG
    236.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Rose Climbers.jpg
    Rose Climbers.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The rose shown in the first photo is likely the Eden Rose (Rosa x 'Pierre de Ronsard', now often sold as Rosa x 'Eden 85')

The red rose in the second photo could be one several different cultivars. Compare with Rosa x 'Blaze', Rosa x 'Don Juan', and others.

Of course there are many additional climbing roses in all colors and sizes. If you pick a larger,more vigorous cultivar, you will get the wall covered faster, though there may be additional pruning needed down the road. Conversely, a slower, smaller rose, will take its time, and may never cover completely. Estimated sizes and growth rates are often given in a rose's description.

Buying a larger rose could give you an extra season of growth, perhaps two... Decide if it is worth the cost.

The only added task with a climbing rose is properly training the vine. Manually arrange the long shoots along the wall in the direction you want them to grow. Anchoring the stems can be done in a variety of ways, including trellises, suspended strings or wires, anchors attached to the wall by screws or strong adhesives, various architectural supports, such as the lanterns in the second photo, etc.

Ask a Question