Help

LG1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon,

I'm new to the gardening game and looking for some advice from anyones experience.

I'm looking to plant a tidy box hedge to the front of my lawn. Preferably something low maintenance. My front garden faces north/west so gets a mixture of sun / shade.

Just looking to see what would be the best type of hedge that I could easily maintain to keep at approx 1m in height and be healthy all year round.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

There are many shrubs that may serve as an evergreen hedge in full to part sun conditions.
Currently Boxwood (Buxus spp.) is plagued with several pernicious pests and diseases. Other shrubs that can give a similar effect include Japanese Holly (Ilex crenata), Privets (Ligustrum spp.), Firethorn (Pyracantha spp), Evergreen Spindles (Euonymus spp.), Yew (Taxus baccata), Cherry-laurels (Prunus laurocerasus and other species) and a number of other options.

Consider planting a mixed hedge of several species and pruning them in a loose, informal manner. This can reduce the spread of disease, reduce labor, otherwise improve plant health and ecology, and give a more natural appearance to your garden.

Ask a Question