Rose Campion

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
My maternal grandmother has Rose Campion. Actually our family referred to the plant as Scarlet Periwinkle. It was not until we met a lady who exclaimed what a pretty flower it was. She called it Rose Campion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
A friend of mine has Rose Campion growing in one garden. She is thrilled with the blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Rose Campion plants do well in rock gardens, wildflower meadows, and cottage gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Rose Campion harkens back to 1828. It has been given quaint names such as Mullein Pink and Lampflower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
At the huge garden center I was at I noticed that Rose Campions sold for $16 apiece. A man I work for has numerous Rose Campions. If he sold each one of his, he would make a fortune.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have seen Rose Campion growing around a Rose of Sharon which had purple flowers. A pretty color combination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I was working in a yard for a yard customer. The painter noticed the grey leaves of a plant. He expressed that the plant was Dusty Miller. I told him No because the plant was actually Rose Campion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's a pretty flower, goes well in the 'cottage garden' combinations. Did you ever read Margery Allingham? One of my favourite 1940's, British, lady detective writers, her hero introduces himself as 'Albert Campion, like the wayside flower'. Scarlet campion is a fairly common hedgerow flower here, white campion less so, but both quite striking. I don't know if they are actually related to your rose campion, common names can be deceptive.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah yes, Margery Allinghams' Albert Campion.

All the Campions you mention are now considered to be in the genus Silene of the Pink family (Caryophyllaceae), though some were formerly placed in other genera. For example, both the Rose Campion or Crown Pink (Silene coronaria) and the Scarlet Campion or Maltese Cross (Silene chalcedonica) were formerly placed in the now-synonymous genus, Lychnis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
One lady has a single Rose Campion growing in her front yard. She told me that she simply mows around it.

Ask a Question