Will my newly planted young Rose of Sharon make it through the winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I am kind of just getting into gardening this year, so still learning.
I bought a 2 gallon lavender chiffon rose of sharon from lowes about 2 weeks ago and planted it in my south facing front yard.
I was reading up on rose of Sharon's and wondering if maybe I planted it a little late in the season. Will it be strong enough to make it through the winter? I have a white one that is 3 years old and doing well but I think I planted it earlier than august. It starts cooling off here around the second week of October. I think the branches are kind of green and thin. Maybe they won't be hard enough by fall weather. Should I consider digging it up and putting it back in the pot to winter indoors?
Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a picture.

Attachments

• 20190828_081257.jpg
    20190828_081257.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 139

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It would help to know your location. The Rose of Sharon is good for zones 5-8. I have several here in zone 8 and they have all done fine. If you live in a locale colder than zone 5 winter protection may be needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
On one of my travels. the person has this fence along the road, and planted are a row of Sharons's. they come up every year etc. I know she is not doing anything with them just leaving them do their thing. and they get hit with winters worse in that area. Imagine if I got out and inspected that row I 'd find babies coming up in that row. Reason I know she's not doing anything with them, as there are thousands of other acres she owns to deal with .

Ask a Question