Will my newly planted young Rose of Sharon make it through the winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I am kind of just getting into gardening this year, so still learning.
I bought a 2 gallon lavender chiffon rose of sharon from lowes about 2 weeks ago and planted it in my south facing front yard.
I was reading up on rose of Sharon's and wondering if maybe I planted it a little late in the season. Will it be strong enough to make it through the winter? I have a white one that is 3 years old and doing well but I think I planted it earlier than august. It starts cooling off here around the second week of October. I think the branches are kind of green and thin. Maybe they won't be hard enough by fall weather. Should I consider digging it up and putting it back in the pot to winter indoors?
Thanks for any help.

Ad

Advertisements

Meadowlark

Gardner, Angler, Adjunct Professor, and Rancher
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It would help to know your location. The Rose of Sharon is good for zones 5-8. I have several here in zone 8 and they have all done fine. If you live in a locale colder than zone 5 winter protection may be needed.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
On one of my travels. the person has this fence along the road, and planted are a row of Sharons's. they come up every year etc. I know she is not doing anything with them just leaving them do their thing. and they get hit with winters worse in that area. Imagine if I got out and inspected that row I 'd find babies coming up in that row. Reason I know she's not doing anything with them, as there are thousands of other acres she owns to deal with .

Ask a Question