Red Robin Hedging

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Im planning on planting red robin hedging in a border area created in a paved driveway..question is when paving was removed there is approx 150 to 200mm of hardcore remaining with original soil underneath - total area of new border is approx 8 sq/ m...red robin plants i will be buying will be potted and be 2 feet tall...can i just dig out a reasonable size area down to soil for each plant, back fill around plant with fresh soil & compost ? would they grow with this method ?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @Hogan-1 - it's good to have you here (y)
I would strongly advise you to do this job properly - it will really pay dividends in the long run. Red Robin (Photinia) is quite a fussy plant, and will definitely not enjoy it's roots bumping into hardcore. It would be spoiling the ship for a halfpenny's worth of tar.
Get all that rubbish out, and dig your soil over - adding some sort of organic stuff (spent mushroom compost or farmyard manure perhaps) water the new plants in well - and please post a photo for us to have a peep when you're all done :happy:

Ask a Question