Red Dye in Hummingbird Nectar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@treeguy I want you to understand that since you did not read my link then you would not have read that the lady who was rehabilitating hummingbirds was reporting her experience in their daily digestion in the rehab environment. I have no doubt mother is more cruel, and your supposition that 1\2 her values are accurate, and if you do, then I have no defense to your arguement as I have never, nor will I probably, rehab hummingbirds.

Also, and as an an aside, please alwYs stand for your beliefs?

Perceived facts follow beliefs which follow attitudes. 3 decades ago this idea was modern marketing. This is why we have paid bloggers today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Humming feeder.jpg

Sneezie

Nellie Mosser, Clematis
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5 - 6
Country
United States
I have always made sugar water for my Hummers. They love it and I believe the coloring is an attraction for them is bullcrap. They flock to my feeders and theres no coloring for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have always made sugar water for my Hummers. They love it and I believe the coloring is an attraction for them is bullcrap. They flock to my feeders and theres no coloring for them.
I agree. my hummers hit my blue bells, and my yellow wax bells. it does not matter. actually I heard that pollen has protein in it, so that is what they would naturally need. our little sugar water is not totally the best for them as a 100% diet .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, it seems that pollen is part of their diet; intentionally or not, who knows, but one thing is for sure --They eat a lot more than just nectar.

Interesting article on studying the diet of hummingbirds.

Excerpt:

Ashes, sand, seawater, secretions from insects, pollen, and the fluids of fruits and other plant parts are a far cry from the nectar and bugs that were once believed to be the hummers’ only sources of nutrition. There are undoubtedly even more items out there that the birds feed on—things that will once again change our idea of what hummingbirds eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
while on the issue of hummers' Anyone planning a visit to USA. the first week in September in Ramsey Canyon, AZ is the hummingbird migration, 18 types come home to that area. a few unique places to stay around there, all cater to "birders" . and all hang feeders around . the main area Ramsey Canyon Park strings 20 feeders across from tree to tree. its a sight to behold, and the noise is unreal. would recommend it highly to incorporated this into your visit if your coming this way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
People have been putting red dye in humming bird feeders longer then I have been alive,...and now all of a sudden it is bad for them. Not buying it at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
People have been putting red dye in humming bird feeders longer then I have been alive,...and now all of a sudden it is bad for them. Not buying it at all.
buying it or not, you'd rather spend money on a bottle of red food dye when you know you do not have to, to get the job done.

things finely come around to be studied. see the two links below.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know why this topic has become such a big issue... one topic was closed because of the argument over dye, and it is disappointing that it is tainting the discussion about hummingbirds. I am happy for hummingbirds to be discussed, but no more arguments about dye please. It's pointless, and is making members unhappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question