Recommended weed killer for patio and driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Grateful for some recommendations for a total weed killer that i can put down on my patio and driveway which are both block paved/Slabbed. I have been using a glyphosate based weed killer which works well on those weeds that are growing but a few weeks later the weeds are back. looking to get something that does not allow germination of new seeds growing. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't think there is such a thing. Weed seeds travel by wind, running water, animals. If you want to completely sterilize the soil just pour a lot of salt where ever the weeds are, 3 or 4 times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I get a few weeds to the side of my drive where I have a path I made from crazy York stone. Better than any chemical is a blow torch.
With chemicals I could get some drift onto the lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sodium chlorate would have been the choice of our grandfathers. It is really nasty stuff, causes kidney damage and all sorts, and kills all plants, so don't get any run off. You can still get it, but I wouldn't recommend it, and it is not what it used to be. They mix it with other things nowadays because it is very easily made into an explosive by mixing with a hydrocarbon like diesel or sugar.
You would be much better off mixing up some sand and cement, scraping out the cracks and washing down, then pointing it. Tedious, but pretty permanent.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use glyphosate (Compare & Save) on my large gravel driveway as well. When I use it, it seems to give me a 2- 3 month window of dead with the ratio I use 4 oz/gallon before the new growth starts appearing again. I think if the ratio is even higher, you might get longer. I dont think anything is going to kill everything for good. God did a good job making His living things repair themselves. :)

A "preemergent" will help prevent new seeds from germinating too. If you put down something like Preen preemergent granule that should help prevent germination too. That basically creates a chemical layer on top of the soil that prevents germination but that will "fade" with time too. It all requires regular "maintenance".

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anymore I use vinegar and soap to spray on weeds. I imagine if you poured the vinegar in the cracks of your walks it will keep them to acidic for anything to grow.
With glyphosate all your doing is producing weeds that are immune to it.
I don't care for round up it's not that much different than agent orange. A lot of states and cities are banning it because it's so toxic. Several countries already have.
I have several memos trees that were growing after being spayed with round up, I put them in potato see what happens to them in the future.
I found an article searching agent orange round up online.

Ask a Question