Recent Garden Photos

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is part of the issue for me with gardening, @Trellum. Winter isn't the only threat to my plants, but so far it's been a quiet hurricane season. Because I technically have two gardens, if I am away from one for more than a couple days I could lose plants due to the heat or even to pests.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
That calla lily is beautiful. We got one for christmas in a group of two other plants, now it is growing and trying to take over the little pot the display was in. This lily is white. I was very surprised to see the shots coming up and could not remember what the plant was. I plan to move all of the little shots into a larger pot very soon.

Your plants look good, thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is my problem, @Pat, lol. I am ALWAYS in need of moving a plant to a larger pot, which means I am ALWAYS in need of larger pots and more soil mix. Right now I have some basil that I accidentally sprouted in water - it's mindblowing since I have never been able to do it intentionally! I also have a passion vine I sprouted in water that looks to be ready for planting.

Reaction score
That is part of the issue for me with gardening, @Trellum. Winter isn't the only threat to my plants, but so far it's been a quiet hurricane season. Because I technically have two gardens, if I am away from one for more than a couple days I could lose plants due to the heat or even to pests.

Oh really? Tat sounds like too much work! I'm guessing you have already spent some time away from one of them and lost some plants? I can imagine it can be hard to avoid, after all nowadays' busy life doesn't make it any easy! :( I hope you get some help from your boyfriend from time to time ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...Tat sounds like too much work! I'm guessing you have already spent some time away from one of them and lost some plants?

Actually, Garden #2 has only been around for a few months. I've lost a few plants from that one, but mainly just stuff like marigolds that the snails or cutworms got to. I lost some zinnias that never quite bounced from a fungus. The zinnias were partly my fault - they were in a hanging pot I bought on sale and there were too many plants for their size. Also, I didn't realize the soil was too dry.

Reaction score
Oh don't feel bad! I think your losses haven't been that big considering you have to take care of two gardens now! It could have been worse, plus I think once you get used to take care of both gardens everything will go better (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
DSCF3104.jpg

Beetroot
DSCF3095.jpg
DSCF3094.jpg
DSCF3088.jpg
DSCF3078-Copy.jpg
DSCF3077-Copy.jpg
DSCF3099.jpg

Broad beans, peas, onions sprouts
DSCF3109.jpg

Garlic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Show-off! LOL!

@headfullofbees, I think you left gardening behind and moved into farming! I tried to grow beetroot last fall, but they never quite got off the ground. I think the container I put them in was too small, and I think I also had trouble getting the watering right. I may try again down the road in a raised bed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Containers can dry out very quickly, so you need big, or you need to water them often.
It's difficult if you are otherwise very busy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Containers can dry out very quickly, so you need big, or you need to water them often.
It's difficult if you are otherwise very busy.

This container was too shallow. It was like a big bowl and just didn't give the plants enough root space. Next time I will use a 12 inch pot with only two or three beets to be sure the plants have enough growing room. I like to use the greens as well as the roots, but I'm trying to keep the garden under control so I may wait a while.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This container was too shallow. It was like a big bowl and just didn't give the plants enough root space. Next time I will use a 12 inch pot with only two or three beets to be sure the plants have enough growing room. I like to use the greens as well as the roots, but I'm trying to keep the garden under control so I may wait a while.
That's overkill.
I'd try six, all in a ring, 2.5inches from the edge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That's overkill.
I'd try six, all in a ring, 2.5inches from the edge.

Six in a ring in a large pot? They won't be too crowded? Because that would be a good number and I could easily handle making space for two twelve inch pots in the fall garden. I'll be able to get sprouted plants at the local nursery in about a month or so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Six in a ring in a large pot? They won't be too crowded? Because that would be a good number and I could easily handle making space for two twelve inch pots in the fall garden. I'll be able to get sprouted plants at the local nursery in about a month or so.
You'll be able to plant them four inches apart, that should be fine.
Grow them any bigger, they'll just go woody.

Reaction score
Your calla is gorgeous and those little potatoes and tomatoes are adorable and delicious looking. It looks like all your hard work is paying off.

Ask a Question