Butterfly Garden for recently deceased son

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I have just been through the very sad experience of the death of my younger son, Daniel Aaron Baker (age 42). His mother is planning to plant a butterfly garden in memory of him, and will be using some plants from his funeral. I would appreciate any suggestions for other plants ( we are in the north central Florida area, in the Ocala forest area.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I can't offer any suggestions for butterfly plants in your area, since I am not familiar with north central Florida.
However, please accept my sincere sympathy for the loss of your son. Parents who survive the death of a child have a heavy burden, one no parent should have to bear. I am so sorry for your loss.

Reaction score
Country
United States
238855760.jpg

Sorry for your loss Thomas, I cannot even imagine what you are going through. I saw your post and even though I do not know the first thing about butterfly gardens I did a little research for you. I want to try and help your butterfly garden be amazing as your Son's life was.

I did a little reading and googling and here is what I found to be pretty. This picture is taken from lowes.com and the article that goes with it is very helpful. It explains what plants are what, and a complete diagram. It even explains how to connect two gardens if you are interested in that. Heres the picture and article.

JanGardenPlanIllus_web.jpg

The website for this diagram and article are located here. http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/gardening-and-outdoor/sizzling-summer-garden/article

I also found a few tips on butterfly gardening in Florida this website gives you a list of the top 10 plants in their opinion. It can be found here http://floridafriendlyplants.com/plant_database_results.asp?TLst=4

This is another very informative article about Butterfly Gardening In Florida and it takes a little while to read through but it can be very useful to you guys down there. :) http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw057

I hope this information is useful for you in your hard times. I definitely found a lot of this information very helpful for my gardening as well. Once again I am very sorry for your loss.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So sorry to hear that Thomas, what a terrible thing for any parent to go through.

Again, not sure about Florida but you can't go too far wrong with Buddlia davidii, butterflies love the flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My condolences to your family. Your weather and climate are similar to mine, as are the varieties of butterflies that are found in your area. There are two types of plants for butterfly gardens: Nectar plants and host plants. Host plants are the ones butterflies lay eggs on that feed the larvae when they hatch. Nectar plants are the ones that the butterflies themselves feed from.

The location of your butterfly garden is just as important as the plants it will contain. Butterfly gardens need to be completely organic so if your neighbors use chemicals you won't want it close to anyone else's property line and you'll want to try an put in wind breaks that can help protect against chemical drift.

The plants should be chosen with the specific butterflies in mind that you want to attract. Swallowtail larvae will feed on anything in the carrot family from parsley to the green on regrown carrot tops. Monarchs will only feed on milkweed and they are voracious eaters so if you want to raise butterflies you will need extra plants that are isolated so that no eggs are laid on them.

Zinnias, passion flower, marigold, blue porterweed, clerodendrum... there are so many plants for attracting and feeding butterflies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know what kind of plants that would attract butterfly in your area, but I came by to offer my condolences. May he rest in peace and may you and your wife find comfort in the memories of him.
Here is a butterfly on my white cornflower for you!
She Shines.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't offer any helpful advice, but I wanted to say what a sweet idea this is. I like the idea of doing something like that to honor my dad who recently passed away. Your family is in my prayers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm so very sorry for your loss, Thomas! I don't know what to say.
Creating a butterfly garden is a wonderful idea. Butterflies in my area love Buddleja davidii, they always sit on it.

Reaction score
My condolences to your family! I am so sorry for your loss, losing a son is one of the most painful things a parent will ever experience, I'll dare to say it's even worse than losing a parent. I hope you and your family find peace, wishing you the best of the best... the first months are the worst, so please surround yourself with those who you love and who love you most.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I want to than all of you.
asclepia grows both wild and cultivated.There are at least two varieties, one (Asclepias tuberosa) we also call "dancing ladies" because the red an yellow blossoms look like flamenco dancers in beautiful brightly colored dresses. Butterflies love the blossoms. The other variety (Asclepias syriaca) has less showy blossoms but larger leaves loved by the caterpillars

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hope it all comes together Thomas.

Best wishes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
It is my belief that we should all be orphans when we pass on.

I hope your garden attracts mother nature's angels.

Tears and hugs,
Lori

Ask a Question