Here's a tip I picked up recently.

Reaction score
For years I had been trying to grow chillies and peppers, with very little or no success, and had almost got to the point where I had given up.

Recently we had a visit from an old friend who took an interest in our plot, when she saw the chillies and peppers in the plot she looked alarmed and told us that they are like cousins, and should never be put close to each other, as the chillies will not set, and the peppers will just die off. I had to admit that the peppers did look a bit sickly, I had put it down to not enough water, with noting to lose, we set about putting some distance between them, a good couple of metres.

Now three weeks on, we have flowers on both plants, fruit has set, and they are thriving, !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this tip. I had no idea that chilies and peppers shouldn't be grown together. I know that nothing wants to grow under a walnut tree.
It's funny that some plants don't like each other. They're almost like pets, lol:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For years I had been trying to grow chillies and peppers, with very little or no success, and had almost got to the point where I had given up.

Recently we had a visit from an old friend who took an interest in our plot, when she saw the chillies and peppers in the plot she looked alarmed and told us that they are like cousins, and should never be put close to each other, as the chillies will not set, and the peppers will just die off. I had to admit that the peppers did look a bit sickly, I had put it down to not enough water, with noting to lose, we set about putting some distance between them, a good couple of metres.

Now three weeks on, we have flowers on both plants, fruit has set, and they are thriving, !
Do you why this is? I have noticed that when I have a sweet pepper next to a hot pepper that neither seem to do well. I always attributed it to "oh well, stuff happens". It must have something to do with pollination

Reaction score
Do you why this is? I have noticed that when I have a sweet pepper next to a hot pepper that neither seem to do well. I always attributed it to "oh well, stuff happens". It must have something to do with pollination

I have no idea, and not really looked into it that much, I just did as the friend said and it worked

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have no idea, and not really looked into it that much, I just did as the friend said and it worked
Two years ago I moved where I grew squash to an area where I grow canteloupes and neither have done all that well since. I thought it was due to lack of rain but there has been a lack of rain for 6 years. These plants are cousins too. Anyone know anything about this cousin thing?

Reaction score
This is fascinating. It's funny to think that plants don't like to be grown next to certain others. I will have to pass this information on to my brother, as he has also been trying to grow them. He absolutely loves chillis and peppers and was been trying to grow his own without much success. At least now, we might have the answer.

Reaction score
This is fascinating. It's funny to think that plants don't like to be grown next to certain others. I will have to pass this information on to my brother, as he has also been trying to grow them. He absolutely loves chillis and peppers and was been trying to grow his own without much success. At least now, we might have the answer.

The pepper plant closest to the chillies actually curled up and died !

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Mints do a simliar thing, they put out something that will kill a different variety.

Reaction score
That is correct and I have been told to never grow sweet peppers near the hot ones. I did it with the mint until I wised up about them and separated the plants. Glad you finally found out what the problem.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
That could be what happened to my plants last year. Nothing grew, they just curled up and died no matter how mc\uch water I gave the plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's so strange! I could see if they liked different soil types, acid or base, or different water/sun requirements, but to interact with each other like that - nature sure is interesting. I'm glad you told us. It's funny how you can have a plant that just won't do anything, then move it and it thrives, or the other way around. :( And you never really know what the difference was - I'd never thought that it might be their "bed mate" they didn't like!

Does anyone else know of any other strange bedfellows??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I wonder if the same things applies with trees. My main interest in gardening is growing bonsai trees and I've got my pots grouped together rather haphazardly. Some are thriving, others less so. Now I'm starting to wonder if some of my trees would benefit from a move.

Ask a Question