Raised beds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I measured out my options. I think I'm going to go 4'x16'x24" (that's $170 in lumber!!). The peppers and tomatoes will take up a lot of space and it looks like I'll have the room easily enough. I have it flagged in the photo, but I'll actually lay it out about two feet back from there. I'll be pulling the shrubs out (and using as part of the hugel beds) and the raised bed will go right over that.

With hugel, do you use weed barrier? I'm sure you don't have to, but is there a down side to it? I don't want to have to be pulling grass out all the time!

Last photo is just some of the containers I'll be replacing, there are more around front and the tomatoes are already done for the year.
IMG_20180925_171620313.jpg
IMG_20180925_171624698.jpg
IMG_20180925_171722207.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No weed barrier but I would dig up the first 4" and put that on top of your logs, but its not needed. You could just put down cardboard and call it a day, I dug Moms out about a foot. Mine were all just built right on top of the soil/yard.
Some folks put down wire mesh to keep voles out, I didn't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
IMG_20181018_172823487.jpg
Getting closer. I need to brace the joints with another layer of fence picket. It may seem like I'm using a lot of extra lumber that way, but using pickets I am into this bed for less than $100!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ok y'all are cute but this is definitely theft.

It is ok though, I mean to steal the best ideas of hugels.

It is not hugel kulture because ground soil, but I am not gonna tell on y'all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not much really.

You will have to water it for one major thing. Those systems were set it and forget it but the location was important to trap ground water in the base somehow. A mound runs off where yours is flat. Size is also related to getting through a season without adding water.

Ask a Question