Raise soil level in raised beds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My raised beds are not raised enough. I want to bring in a good load of soil/compost and raise the level at least 6 inches.
I am in Portland OR, zone 7-8.
Questions:
1. Should I leave the plants where they are and leave the soil level as is around them? So let them sit in hollows this year, working on the assumption that they will "raise themselves" to the new plant level. Or should I dig them up and replant them. My plants are perennials and roses and some bushes.
2. Should I raise the level slowly over a couple of years? If so, how many inches of soil should I add at a time?
Thx

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
As Far as Roses go I find Planting them a little Deep With the soil above the Bud/Graft Line Is best. This helps to Stabilize the rose in high winds & especially in summer when they are heavy in buds. I've Seen roses blown over because they where planted to High with the Budded root stem showing. So To answer your question. It Depends How deep the roses I, but a Few Inches is ok. If you wish to Raise it further Lift the roses And Shrubs although Saying this there are some shrubs that don't move well And some that Do!....In General Its the best time to Move Plants as they are resting & not in full growth & have time to Settle in before summer. Throw a Little Bone meal in to Aid Root regrowth. If you wish for a more help Post a photo of the Shrubs in questoin;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So here are some of the plants I am not so sure about: Daphne (it's about 2x2 feet). Arctostaphylos (3ft high), an HT rose that is about 4ft tall, although I haven't pruned it yet. Lavender that are about 1 ft high. A couple of rosa mutabilis that are 3ft high. Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Well a practice often done with Lavender Is often raze the soil to stop it getting to leggy & woody although they can be moved easily If required . The Daphnes & Arctostaphylos Both don't move easy. I know that for sure as I've looked in to moveing Daphnes & only young ones Move well Old established plants are best left. I had to look up Arctostaphylos and I believe from what I read they are not good movers

Ps............Cant help but add this ( I know its not that Helpful but an interesting pointer to the difficulty of these plants!)
while looking I did find a Arctostaphylos that was moved it was vary rare and in the way of a road build in San Francisco. The final bills in, the cost of moving the bush in 2010 came to $175,000 - $140,000 to dig up and move the shrub, and $35,000 for "support"

have a read lol https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/mati...S-F-a-small-fortune-3186740.php#photo-2324549

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b
6 inch is not tht much ,they should adjust themself , rosses get disturbed if u move them in my experience .IMO U can try moving plants which are under 2 ft .

Ask a Question