Rainy Days

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This is one of them, so no gardening.

So time for my other hobbies, among them are film noir, audio gear and my electric piano.

This is a "cut & paste" I've just posted on an antique audio equipment message board.

Humphrey Bogart made about forty-seven films. Some memorable, some not so.
Among the best was Casablanca, where he played Rick, the owner of Rick's bar.
Where he hears Dooly Wilson sing, “As Time Goes By” (the jury's out, as to whether it was he who actually played the piano).

Among the “not so,” one might say, is this, perhaps someone had a, “Play it again Sam,” moment, maybe Bogart himself, as he is listed as co-producer, with a totally different production team.

In 1949, he played, the owner of “Tokyo Joe's” bar, where on his return to Japan after the war, he hears, “These FoolishThings,” played on a phonograph in the bar's apartment, sung by his presumed dead wife, played by Florence Marly (she sang it).
Sounding familiar?

This film was recently shown on TV and as an admirer of Bogart, I found it embarrassing.

But I discovered from where this photograph I've had for a few decades came. I've always been curious as to the make of the machine. It's obviously a real phonograph and not a prop, as later in the film you see him play a record on it.
Anyone have any ideas?

I'd not heard the tune in years it's from 1936, so the sheet music is out of copyright, I found it on the internet downloaded it and printed it off.
I'll learn to play it this afternoon, before I watch the tennis from Miami, on my laptop.

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
Had three days of 🌧️
2023-11-0712.46.138712760331665694773.jpg

Ask a Question