Rain Chain to Barrel in Winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!,
I am hoping to install a cup-style rainchain leading to a rain barrel. In my area (Zone 7 Virginia) we do get freezing temps in the winter so i understand that i will need to winterize & store the barrel every year, but does anyone have an idea for what i can do at the bottom of the chain in the winter? if i move the barrel the chain will have about 3ft before reaching the ground.. i considered a rain water diverter so i could continue using a traditional gutter in the winter , but im afraid in heavy storms the water will shoot out horizontally and miss the chain OR wouldnt be able to support the weight of a frozen rainchain. I also considered a tall basin, but it seems like that would have the same issues with freezing. i appreciate any thoughts! Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @MorganG , welcome to the forums :) I have always fancied the idea of a rain chain, but never got around to doing it.
We have rain barrels all over the place here, and collect as much rain water for the garden as we can. In spite of freezing weather in the winter months, we never take the barrels in, and have never had a problem with them at all. If the weather was exceptionally cold I suppose your alternative would be to put a jacket on it to keep it warm.
As long as your rain chain is well supported and not flimsy, it should manage to stay good through any weather. There are other ideas of course for your rain chain. It could feed water into a pond, maybe even a stream. Water gardening is a fascinating subject. I expect there are other ideas online you could pinch too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello @MorganG , welcome to the forums :) I have always fancied the idea of a rain chain, but never got around to doing it.
We have rain barrels all over the place here, and collect as much rain water for the garden as we can. In spite of freezing weather in the winter months, we never take the barrels in, and have never had a problem with them at all. If the weather was exceptionally cold I suppose your alternative would be to put a jacket on it to keep it warm.
As long as your rain chain is well supported and not flimsy, it should manage to stay good through any weather. There are other ideas of course for your rain chain. It could feed water into a pond, maybe even a stream. Water gardening is a fascinating subject. I expect there are other ideas online you could pinch too.
Thank you so much for responding!! I had considered leaving the barrel in place all winter and just opening a valve to so that it didnt freeze and damage the tank. My husband is skeptical of my idea (LOL) but I'll work on him again. Thank you again for your help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't forget to let us know how you get on - husband shouldn't be too much trouble, he's only a man :giggle:

Ask a Question