Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm really sorry to hear.

Pet deaths can be worse than people deaths, because you see them every single day. I still miss my last cat. She died about 5 or 6 years ago. She'd hang out with me all the time. One night, she started stretching her back legs backwards and shaking them, within a minute, she could no longer use them. I watched her go from perfect health, to not being able to get around. She was as scared as I was that night. I brought her to the vet with no real answers. They threw out a few ideas of what it could be, but said it was something that couldn't be reversed or fixed unless she miraculously started walking again on her own. I kept her around a few weeks to see if anything would change, but her quality of life had greatly decreased and I couldn't come up with a decent invention to allow her to easily get around. She wanted to walk, to run, to jump, but she couldn't do any of that. Just getting her in her litter box was a task.

As much as I hated to, I had to make the difficult choice.

I actually rescued her when I was a kid or teenager. There was a house up the road whose cats had kittens. They were the type of people who let their cats wander outside (which, of course, is terrible for native wildlife). I asked if I could have one of the kittens and they said yes. Never thought she'd be such a great cat for the 12 years I had her.

Here's a few photos when she was happy and healthy. She'd literally always be around me.

36990_445799208688_5349031_n.jpg 302380_10150373636328689_2169715_n.jpg 1935405_188448553688_5570311_n.jpg

My current cat is pretty great, too. She doesn't like to hang out around me as much, but she has a similar "personality" to my last cat.
IMG_0113 copy1.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So sorry to hear that @MaryMary - that was a lovely write-up and selection of photos :).

The picture of him in sombrero is great!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Sad for you MaryMary. Little Man has obviously left a big hole in your heart which will heal and fill it with lovely warm memories. I have just lost my darling Max too, 10 days ago and I am telling myself that too. So sad but, like you, I know I have the privilege of knowing that I did everything possible for him and just had to accept that it was time. In spite of the ache I'm so glad I had him in my life as I'm sure you are too to have had your Little Man.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
So very sad to hear about Max @DeborahJane. If i remember correctly, you two were together for quite some time?View attachment 30171
Max came to live with us over 3 and a half years ago when my son and his wife moved in and then left him with us when they moved overseas a year later. I've known him all his life but really only got to know him when he lived with us. And I just loved him. My brother described him as "a real gentleman " which is very apt. He won the hearts of any one who met him and I am very grateful that I had the pleasure of having him in my life.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@DeborahJane, I am so sorry for your loss of Max. :( As you (and others) have said, it will heal and become happy memories. We were lucky to have had them.

Thank you all for your kind comments. It's meant more than I've been able to say. I've had a hard time returning to this thread. I've read everything, just had a hard time getting through answering.

He definitely was the BOSS!

It's funny you should say it like that, alp. I knew he was my boss - you don't "own" cats, you work for them. :rolleyes:

I've learned he was the boss of the other cats, too. (He was first, oldest, and my favorite.) They're trying to work out a new order. I had three of them sitting in the chair with me, and a three-way slap fight broke out, as each wanted the best position. (One of the three wouldn't even come in the living room, before.) It was funny and sad at the same time.

Yes he was known here. He was a rock star avatar. (...snip..) i am so sad for your loss and yes, i have tears. (...snip...) Thank you for letting us know.
empathy-gif.30034

It was your knowing his name that made me post. I had to tell you. He was a rock star. :)

(bologna? You must be kidding!)

Why not bologna? :confused:

I feel even sorrier for someone who hasn't known the love of a cat.

I like dogs, too, but I agree, it's a special thing when a cat loves you. I believe dogs love you because you teach them to; their instinct makes them want to be part of a pack. A cat loves you solely because it chooses to.

@JBtheExplorer, I have the utmost respect and sympathy, as I almost had to make that difficult choice. When we got to the hospital, it was so obvious he was in pain, I couldn't bear it. They took him back to examine him, sedated him, and put him in an oxygen chamber. I got the feeling they didn't want me to, but I made them let me see him before we left. I had to know he was calm and out of pain.

Ask a Question