R.I.P., Little Man.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I guess from the thread title, you know what I'm here to say. I've been debating whether or not to share it with you guys, but when Beverly mentioned him in another thread, it occurred to me that some of you knew him by name. It just seems right to tell you.

Sunday, November 19th, Little Man died.

Forgive me if I don't share the terrible details. The basics - late Saturday night we took him to a 24 hour veterinary hospital. Sunday he went into cardiac arrest. They tried, but he was gone.

We decided against autopsy, but they told us they highly suspect it was FIP. (Feline Infectious Peritonitis.) I can't really bring myself to do the research yet, but from what I have learned, there is no cure, it is always fatal, and it could have been passed to the other cats.

Little Man was a love bug. He was the most patient cat I have ever known. He was not food-oriented as most of them are, he was motivated by love and affection. He was my fluffmuffin.

Fluffmuffins don't need Santa beards!

0206161433crest(1).jpg

This is the position he would take when you gave him treats he found unacceptable. He was quite a food snob; hot dogs and bologna were beneath him. He would sit like that with the dubious "treat" in front of him, and when the other cats finished theirs, they'd start eyeballing his. They'd come in close and try to steal it, and then... he'd whack them on the head!! He might not want it, but it was HIS!!!

(This is the one and only time I caught him on the counter. We were having a new counter put in, and when the workers had gone home for the day, I guess the open expanse of counter beckoned him.)

0109171103.jpg

Here is a picture of him with Dunder. When Squatter was trying to wean Dunder, Dunder took comfort in "nursing" on Little Man. Little Man didn't care one bit; he often fell asleep. Poor guy, he was chapped with red, flaky skin by the time Dunder got over it.

0913021646.jpg

And with Smudge.

1017041041-Smudge.jpg

The sombrero is the first time I put him in a hat. (Isn't he adorable?!)

0109011623a.jpg

I never thought I'd be one of those weirdos that puts funny clothes on their pets, but he was so patient about it, I couldn't resist!! He loved me and I was paying attention to him, and that was all he cared about.

0327161339a.jpg 1015021524.jpg 1212161224.jpg 1212161218.jpg

In this picture, I was trying to read, and he was having none of it. He wanted petted, and the book be damned. (He wound up sprawled in my lap, pushing the book onto the floor.)

0417042044LittleMan(1).jpg

I love you, Little Man. You will be sorely missed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
:( Our animals friends are such wonderful creatures and add so much to our lives.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
He was quite a food snob; hot dogs and bologna were beneath him. He would sit like that with the dubious "treat" in front of him, and when the other cats finished theirs, they'd start eyeballing his. They'd come in close and try to steal it, and then... he'd whack them on the head!! He might not want it, but it was HIS!!!

What a character! He definitely was the BOSS! RIP.. BOSS!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Ah @MaryMary, a beautiful homage to Little Man. Yes he was known here. He was a rock star avatar. You have been quiet for awhile and i wondered if things were okay with you. Never under estimate what a hole in your life losing a close family member can cause and i am so sad for your loss and yes, i have tears. I suppose your consolation is in knowing that he enjoyed a privileged life in your care and perhaps you will meet him again in one of the rest of his nine lives. I see what a magnificent white beard he had, like Leon Russell. Thank you for letting us know.
empathy.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss, but in time you'll remember Little Man for all the lovable quirks, the cuddles, and all the things he taught you (bologna? You must be kidding!). You'll still miss him, but the pain will be lessened.
Didn't Little Man have a wonderful life!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I feel sorry for people when their cat passes but I feel even sorrier for someone who hasn't known the love of a cat. I think God gives us many cats during our lives but he gives us one that will stay in our heart till we die.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm truly sorry for your loss MaryMary. Pets aren't just animals they are the closest of family friends and when they die it's always tearful. What a gorgeous little guy he was and he will have known a lot of love and affection. He was loving and he was loved.

Kind regards, Col & Bron (cat lovers).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
It's so hard to lose our animals.
You gave Little Man a happy life, warm and caring. This is very much.

It's unfortunate that Little Man left on his rainbow bridge, but loved you and was grateful for the care. I sympathize with your loss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A loved pet is the same as a family member. Losing a pet is like losing a part of your family and they are never forgotten, nor can they be replaced.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to here Your lose Mary. He Was one vary special Fluffmuffin I loved see in in your Photos.

Ask a Question