Question on raises garden depth

lma

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I live in Massachusetts and plan on making some raised beds for a vegetable garden. I'm not sure if the term is correct because they are not going on stands, instead it's basically a box with soil in it on the ground.

I mentioned that because my question has to do with what is the recommended depth of a raised garden bed. The answer may be different if it was lets sat a concrete slab versus existing soil. Which is why I wanted to clarify.

I'm deciding between 12 and 18 inches high.
It'll likely be 6 4x8 beds. I'm dredings hand to wheelbarrow any more soil to fill them then I have to look.
But I don't want to get Crappt results bc I skimped 6in on the depth either.

Anyway,what are your suggestions? Thank youPs, deciding between Western cedar or metal. Any recommendation on one over the other?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I built some raised gardens for my mother in law before she passed and they were 18 to 20 inches deep and they did good with the vegetables that she planted in there. I also had slatted floor with landscaping fabric over them then dirt on top.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd say 8 or 10" is plenty. Some do raised beds so they don't have to bend over as much so the depth is kind of up to you. Less weeds is another plus. If you don't want to fill a 24" bed up with expensive potting soil then do a search for Heuglekulture. I know I misspelled that word but I'm sure you can find it.

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Very good question!
In one hand we have a factiory beds with typical height about 12 inches (30 sm):
beds.jpg

But in other hand we have a scientific knowledge about the vegs root system:
roots.jpg

We don't have a "third" hand, but thirdly we know that the average thickness of the fertile layer is 4-12 inches (10-30 cm).

So 12" bed is more than enough in common, BUT:
- beds must not have a bottom and must stand on the soil so that the roots of the plant can develop as determined by their nature
- potatoes and tomatoes take lateral roots, so they are hoed. A height margin is required for hoeing.
slide-9.jpg
- for cucumbers in cold climates, warm beds are made - leaves and straw are put on the bottom of the bed and abundantly watered so that rotting begins (which emits heat). Fertile soil is poured on top and cucumbers are planted.

I hope now you will be able to determine the optimal height of the bed. We do not have to waste too thick a layer of humus where it's not required.

Last edited:

Ask a Question