Promoting fruit on squash plants.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That is what I grow. I'd rather have that as zucchini.
I'm trying a couple of new to me varieties this year: lemon drop squash and golden zucchini. Both have been excellent. The Golden zucchini is far better than green zucchini and the lemon drops offer a good change of pace from the crooked necks. You can see both in the attached along with crooked necks.

TP caribe.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here it is mid June and my squash plants have quit producung fruit. Nothing but male shoots with male flowers. Any ideas?
It is partially a varietal issue but squash slow down or stop production during hot weather if mildew doesn't get them first.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here it is mid June and my squash plants have quit producung fruit. Nothing but male shoots with male flowers. Any ideas?

Yep, pretty much normal for here also. I turned all of my squash under last week and planted a cover crop. It's kind of a blessing in that they produce so much we get tired of eating it anyway, so its demise is not unwelcome. Plus, we have tons of fresh corn and okra right behind the squash (see left side of picture) so it isn't missed at all. :)

sunn hemp.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, pretty much normal for here also. I turned all of my squash under last week and planted a cover crop. It's kind of a blessing in that they produce so much we get tired of eating it anyway, so its demise is not unwelcome. Plus, we have tons of fresh corn and okra right behind the squash (see left side of picture) so it isn't missed at all. :)

View attachment 97354
I pulled all of mine last week too. Production had slowed and I had already given away so many squash that my friends would run when they saw me with a bag in hand. And powdery mildew was beginning to be a problem also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't think it's a bug problem. I'm using Captain Jacks Bug Killer . They have started producing again though. Picked three nice squash this morn.
Now my tomatoes have a different problem. A mole popped up and ate the bottom of two tomato plants. One was loaded with green tomatoes. The other never did get a good start. Got a remedy for Moles?
This year has been a struggle!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Seaweed promotes fruiting. I'm glad to hear they are fruiting again - can't help with the moles.

Ask a Question