Probelm with growing apricot trees in Raleigh, NC area

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hello,
I have a very strange problem with growing apricot trees. The are doing very well first 2 years and die in the spring, in fact, right after flowering. It occurred already with 4 types of apricots. Its a mystery. All repeated the same pattern.
What could be causing this?
I have about 10 peach trees, doing perfectly fine.
Thank you.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just answered the fig tree thread, then I saw this thread and the walnut one. If you are having a lot of problems with a lot of trees, I am wondering if you planted them too deeply, or maybe have mulched them too thick, and too high? The tree has a "root flare," where the trunk meets the roots, and you can't bury the flare.

This video will explain it better than I can! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I just answered the fig tree thread, then I saw this thread and the walnut one. If you are having a lot of problems with a lot of trees, I am wondering if you planted them too deeply, or maybe have mulched them too thick, and too high? The tree has a "root flare," where the trunk meets the roots, and you can't bury the flare.

This video will explain it better than I can! :)

Nice to know, thank you! But I doubt that this is the cause. Apricot trees were all different, I didn't plant them too deep, at least intentionally and I've mulched only the last one. Mulch was not touching the trunk. For English Walnut tree I decided to put the mulch only last year and it does the same thing. Now I decided to remove mulch, because it might be making things worse, since I've read the thread, where it says that overwatering can be a problem and mulch keeps the moisture. If overwatering was the problem, then it would kill the roots first and the tree wouldn't be able to start again from the ground. Seems like each time it comes back taller and taller, so it's an indication that root system is not suffering and developing. I don't know.

Ask a Question