Pressure treated wood and food (and other) plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have any information on the safety of using pressure treated wood to make raised plant beds where food crop roots will probably come in contact with the wood? I know the preservative used in the past contained arsenic but I believe that has now stopped. I don't know what the preservatives used today contain and how safe they are for this type of use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure about in the UK but the green looking pressure treated stuff here contained copper arsenic. I don't think the average person can buy it as the only place I see it is with wooden power poles which is still being used today.

The pressure treated stuff now days (yellow looking) just doesn't hold up that well. Carpenter bees eat it for lunch and it doesn't affect them any. Cedar or locust wood is probably a longer lasting option but more expensive.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not so sure that arsenic has ceased being used for this job, but I certainly wouldn't trust it for food crops. If you do decide to use this, it might be a good idea to line the bed very carefully with a tunnel grade polythene, and staple it down well. I wouldn't worry so much if it was to be used for ornamental plants.
It would be quite attractive to have beds using felled timber logs. if you're lucky enough to know a tree surgeon :) That would be very friendly to wildlife too.
Good to see you on the forums @Sigurd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I take your point re arsenic but from what I have been able to find out, te arsenic compounds are now banned (in the UK). Most now used are supposed o be safe fro food crops. I have emailed the supplier to see what they say or at least find out what compound is used then research the chemical.
Get a reply tomorrow I hope.

Ask a Question