There will be three posts depicting slurry, straining, and Pressure Canning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

2 September 2021 Tomatoes (Pressure Canning)

Posted on September 2, 2021 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2021/September 2021/2 September 2021 Tomatoes (Pressure Canning)/HTML/ 2 September 2021 Tomatoes (Pressure Canning)
The third step in processing for storage is to pressure can at 15 PSI for 15 minutes.
dsc_0047_std.jpg

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged 2 September 2021 Tomatoes (Pressure Canning) | Leave a comment | Edit

2 September 2021 Tomatoes (Straining)

STRAINING
https://durgan.org/2021/September 2021/2 September 2021 Tomatoes (Straining)/HTML/
2 September 2021 Tomatoes (Straining)
This is the straining portion o the post. The next is the pressure canning.
dsc_0038_std.jpg

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged 2 September 2021 Tomatoes (Straining) | Leave a comment | Edit

2 September 2021 Tomatoes (Slurry) (Straining) (Pressure Canning)

SLURRY
https://durgan.org/2021/September 2021/2 September 2021 Tomatoes (Slurry)/HTML/ 2 September 2021 Tomatoes (Slurry)
There will be three posts depicting slurry, straining, and Pressure Cannning.
dsc_0022_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is really cool what you do. I enjoy your posts. I learn from them. I think your choice of descriptive words are usually unappetizing, but accurate. I do not wish to sip the slurry, for example. But you do you bro, because you literally are brilliant and I do not know any others really capable of fending for themselves the way you do so you definitely have my respect for your demonstrated talents.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm fine with the word 'slurry', and it is the correct culinary term.

Tomato slurry is the primary ingredient of tomato soup, which is the seasoned end-product that is ready for serving.

The same relationship also exists between the terms 'tomato paste' and 'tomato sauce'.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fine with the word 'slurry', and it is the correct culinary term.

Tomato slurry is the primary ingredient of tomato soup, which is the seasoned end-product that is ready for serving.

The same relationship also exists between the terms 'tomato paste' and 'tomato sauce'.
I do not dispute that you are 100% correct & that Durgan is 100% correct when he uses the term slurry.
I have absolutely no problem with the term, but if it is a hindrance to the method being adopted by others, need we be pedantic?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now I'm not trying to get into an argument, but I must defend the ordinary usage of an ordinary word.

Why pick on a word and create a pejorative connotation for it. There is nothing inherently unpleasant about the word, 'slurry'. Perhaps this is a lingering case of 'high' Norman words, and 'low' Anglo-Saxon ones.

Seriously though, it is very helpful to distinguish between an ingredient and a prepared dish.
If I would eat the slurry with a spoon, just as it is in the photo, then I would call it soup.
Otherwise, I would think of it as slurry, an ingredient that still requires additional steps before consumption.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Words have no feelings; I care not how many I offend.

Having said that, and also how I said that "slurry" would not put me off, I would find it a shame if some were put off from using Durgan's undoubtedly clever & healthy process by the use of that term.
So I'd be inclined to drop it, as it isn't really that important, if it was to popularise the method.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It seems the only one who was offended by a word was yourself, and unnecessarily so, as it is based on your misunderstanding of the term.

But to the point, being accurate is important, otherwise one may find themselves being served unseasoned slurry and being told it was soup... and canning food have been quite popular for some time now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It seems the only one who was offended by a word was yourself, and unnecessarily so, as it is based on your misunderstanding of the term.

But to the point, being accurate is important, otherwise one may find themselves being served unseasoned slurry and being told it was soup... and canning food have been quite popular for some time now.
That's not correct; see DirtMechanic's post, which is what I was referring to:
" I think your choice of descriptive words are usually unappetizing, but accurate. I do not wish to sip the slurry, for example."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States

The word slurry doesnt offend me. but is a word that doesnt make me hungry either. I am not even sure the word is being used correctly. I always thought a slurry was something to thicken soups. kinda like a roux

Reaction score
Country
United States
The term 'slurry' can be used for any liquid with suspended solids. If it doesn't make you hungry, that's just as well, it is an unseasoned ingredient. ... and this thread isn't a consumer marketing survey.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
The term 'slurry' can be used for any liquid with suspended solids. If it doesn't make you hungry, that's just as well, it is an unseasoned ingredient. ... and this thread isn't a consumer marketing survey.
I apologize I indeed did think it was a consumer marketing survey. you are right, I am wrong.

Ask a Question