Potted bay laurel (laurus nobilis) turning brown, why?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My potted bay tree had a run-in with scale insects, which I was able to address with the forum's help.

Unfortunately, with the bugs defeated, my poor tree is now turning brown, and I don't know why. Since I am new to gardening it's probably something basic.

The tree has been inside for about 5 weeks, since I read they are only cold-tolerant down to 25F. It hasn't quite gotten that cold here yet but it does happen every year. I would hate to miss a forecast and kill my tree thanks to one cold night, so I thought bringing it in was best.

Therefore, it's only been under indoor lighting for ~5 weeks. When I noticed it turning brown ~2 weeks ago I put it in the garage, under shop lights which are much brighter than the lights inside the house... Though nowhere near even winter sunlight.

I have been watering it infrequently but for the last 2 weeks have tried to keep soil moisture in the mid-30, whereas prior to that it was in the 20-30% range.

So, am I killing it with too little light? Too much water? Too little water?

The whole plant looks like this sample of leaves. It's in bad shape.

Thanks if you can help!

1703831649362.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is usually moisture, they like it fairly damp. In a pot a good high nitrogen feed can help, those leaves are not as dark green as they can be. I don't know about America, but 25F seems very cold and I wouldn't expect it to last, I would be tempted to keep it outside and give it some protection, natural light is nearly always superior.
While the above ground growth might well benefit from protection it is the roots of potted plants that really need it, a good wrap around the pot to stop it getting frozen through. Temperatures are usually colder at ground level, so pots are vulnerable, but often the plant in them is lifted out of the really cold zone. I use bubble wrap on the pots and hang on to the largest clear plastic bags, cut off the base to make a tube, then slip them over my potted plants, leaving the top open to breath and get light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'll try putting it back outside. We're having a mild winter so far, hopefully that will persist.

The moisture meter says 33% right now, but if I inspect the soil it doesn't feel damp at all. The soil is much darker than the very top later that has completely dried out so it has obviously soaked up some water... But if I stick my fingers in there, I can brush all the dust off easily. Maybe that is too dry.

Thanks for the help, I really hope I can save this little tree.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds too dry. On the one hand it is easy to overwater things in winter when plants are not using as much and there is less evaporation, on the other it is evergreen, so still using some, and likes it damp.

Ask a Question