Potted store orchid blooming

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Don't have exact dates but a little over a year ago I found this potted grocery store orchid my family forgot about behind a bunch of junk on our patio. I figured it was dead for the longest time and just didn't bother it, but when I finally decided that I wanted to take its pot I saw its roots were still green under the bone dry mulch. Didn't know anything about orchids so I just stuck it in a pot with some super loose soil and cared for it like any of my other plants.

Today I went out and watered my plants for the first time in about a month, and saw this. It's blooming?? Super crazy to me, so crazy I had to share it.
20231226_105427.jpg
20231226_105419.jpg

I live in South Florida so the weather hasn't gotten too cold over the winter, but it's been super humid and rainy, and I generally don't water my plants much during that time. I guess I did something right but we'll see if it buds and blooms!

The soil is an even mix of well-used Miracle-Gro soil, the original mulch the orchid was in, and some well-washed craft store pebbles. I have it sat in a bigger pot with other plants in it to make use of run-off because when it comes to watering I just dump about 2 cups of lukewarm water right on top of it whenever the soil looks well dry. I prefer the lazy approach to watering, lol.

Ask a Question