Potato leaves turned black and yellow?

Muq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have my potatoes got blight or does it look like the crop is just coming to the end of its life?

20200513_145525.jpg
20200513_145534.jpg
20200513_145516.jpg
20200513_145534.jpg

20200513_145525.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Stick your hand down one side of one plant and get a feel and a look to see. By the looks of your soil there's nothing to worry about, they are beginning the finish of the year. You will know when you dig down, feel and see what you have below the surface.

Muq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stick your hand down one side of one plant and get a feel and a look to see. By the looks of your soil there's nothing to worry about, they are beginning the finish of the year. You will know when you dig down, feel and see what you have below the surface.

No tubers!!

Muq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found one tiny stone sized tuber. Sad times for me. I wonder what went wrong

Muq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When did you plant and what growing zone? Ph?
Chitted the potatoes for about a month and they went in the ground maybe 3rd week of April (I was running late). I'm in the UK so growing zone 8. No idea about the soil ph I've never tested it, but I probably will after this.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm in zone 8 also...but never chit and always plant on Valentines day mid Feb. and always harvest mid-May to end of May.

The reason you aren't seeing new potatoes is probably because of the late planting(third week in April)...they just haven't had enough time to grow the spuds. Its possible they still may produce. Have you seen any blooms?

Potatoes need a low ph around 5.2 is optimal but certainly will produce well up to 7 which is why I asked. It does look like you have some type of blight to me but not enough to completely stop production. You might be interested in the recent thread of May 3 "My meager potato harvest" in which I offered some tips that may or may not help you.

Muq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in zone 8 also...but never chit and always plant on Valentines day mid Feb. and always harvest mid-May to end of May.

The reason you aren't seeing new potatoes is probably because of the late planting(third week in April)...they just haven't had enough time to grow the spuds. Its possible they still may produce. Have you seen any blooms?

Potatoes need a low ph around 5.2 is optimal but certainly will produce well up to 7 which is why I asked. It does look like you have some type of blight to me but not enough to completely stop production. You might be interested in the recent thread of May 3 "My meager potato harvest" in which I offered some tips that may or may not help you.
I meant 3rd week March I planted, not April. I'll leave it be and see what happens. I've removed some of the affected stems

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Your potatoes have been in the ground for approx. eight weeks?
Even the fastest growing potatoes in the UK, like Rocket or Sharpe's Express take 9 weeks, and I don't grow them as I think they're tasteless, take a minimum of 9 weeks, & normally are not ready until June.
If you can remember, let me know which variety you are growing and I'll let you know when they should be ready.
You don't have blight either, the dark looks like manganese deficiency, usually associated with high soil pH, as it's unusual to have a soil deficiency.
Treat with Epsom salts, a good handful in a gallon of water, and soak both plants and soil.

Muq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your potatoes have been in the ground for approx. eight weeks?
Even the fastest growing potatoes in the UK, like Rocket or Sharpe's Express take 9 weeks, and I don't grow them as I think they're tasteless, take a minimum of 9 weeks, & normally are not ready until June.
If you can remember, let me know which variety you are growing and I'll let you know when they should be ready.
You don't have blight either, the dark looks like manganese deficiency, usually associated with high soil pH, as it's unusual to have a soil deficiency.
Treat with Epsom salts, a good handful in a gallon of water, and soak both plants and soil.
I planted organic tesco supermarket potatoes
It worked fine last year! I definitely won't try it again next year, will buy seed potatoes. I will test the soil ph I think

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I planted organic tesco supermarket potatoes
It worked fine last year! I definitely won't try it again next year, will buy seed potatoes. I will test the soil ph I think
Use the Epsom salts in the meantime. One dose won't harm, but could help a lot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thats why its so important to get a soil test from the soil lab at least one time, every five years so you will know what you have to work with. Without knowing what you have, anyone is just guessing, and you may not ever know without a test.

Attachments

• soil test.JPG
    soil test.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 145
  • soiltest1.JPG
    soiltest1.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 125

Ask a Question