Potato disease - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello, my name is kevin. i am new here and new to gardening. i grew up as a city boy and didnt garden seriously til i bought a house with a backyard. first year growing stuff. most of my veggies are growing well except my potatoes. here are some pics. the leaves are turning yellow and black, and droop. any idea what the cause is and the solution(s)? I live in Connecticut and lately the temperatures have been around 45-55 degrees this time of year. but a couple days ago we had it drop all the way down to 30 degrees. today is 60 degrees.

also.... should i pluck off the diseased leaves?

thx

Attachments

• pdmg3.jpeg
    pdmg3.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 150
  • pdmg4.jpeg
    pdmg4.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Potatoe dmg1.jpeg
    Potatoe dmg1.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 139
  • potatoe dmg2.jpeg
    potatoe dmg2.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 120
Reaction score
Country
United States
Potato plant leaves turn black for a number of reasons, including environmental factors and bacterial infections. I don't think theres anything you can do at this point, just wait it out and see if it improves. If the leaves die completely, then investigate the reason by digging down and looking closely at what could of caused the problem.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm not convinced there is anything wrong at this point except some frost burn. When first emerging, potato leaves look much like yours. I wouldn't do anything except wait and see...I'm betting those sprouts will grow and turn into plants soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Meadowlark is probably correct but pull up a plant and see if the stem is black or a brownish purple color. If it is please send a picture of it. It could be something serious. Where are you located?

Ask a Question