Pol beans ready to climb.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying poll bean and Bush bean compact gardening this year.

Attachments

• 20190411_105226.jpg
    20190411_105226.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 127

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Looks great! I've also been doing pole beans the last few years "protecting" my back, LOL.

What varieties you trying?

I have asparagus beans, yard long beans, and a new drying bean like pintos that climbs...first year for that one.

You get the added benefit from beans of being a legume with soil building properties. I plant a lot of them every year.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I tried limas last year and they took forever to produce and what they did produce was meager. I love limas and hate to give up on them...will be interested in how yours turn out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I envy you all! I've tried pole beans and they just don't produce for us--neither much vine nor beans. We have great luck with Tendercrop and Tendergreen bush beans, which we love, either fresh or frozen. I do wish I could grow pole beans :cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I had to look up pole beans, known as French or green beans here in Britain. :) Botanical name 'Phaseolus Vulgaris. I'm trying runner beans, known as 'Phaseolus Coccineus'. I haven't grown them for 20+ years. What do you call them in America please?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
We call those "scarlet runner beans". They were once a staple of the indigenous peoples of central America who grew them at altitudes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cool trellis idea. I'd love to do a bed of beans (I love some green bean casserole!!). I'm trying then for the first time this year, just one plant right now (might leave two, be a little crowded though).

Ask a Question