Pollinators

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Planning for spring. I plan to have a small bed dedicated to flowers to attract pollinators for my garden. What are some good, low or medium size flowers with a tropical look to them that will book more than just a week or two? I'm planning for some marigolds for pest resistance. What are some others that could go with it?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Pollinators? Go for anything that is blue! All pollinators love blue, purple, mauve
SAM_0063.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
so marigolds..you have nematodes?
No, but my reading indicates they are good to protect against not only nematodes, but some other types as well and attract a certain fly that feeds on aphids. And even squirrels dislike them.

And if none of the above are true, They look pretty and attract pollinators. So why not?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You ever notice that everything looks weedy until the flowers start blooming?

This is the case with three "weeds" that I always allow to grow anywhere, because they are super at attracting pollinators -- all types from honeybees to all species of native bees. But also, they don't take over the garden, unlike another super pollinator plant, the Spanish Needle (AKA: WEED), which will totally take over a garden.

My three favorite spring-time pollinator attractors are:

Florida Betony (Stachys floridana) https://www.tallahassee.com/story/l...ida-betony-become-invasive-nuisance/27765919/
It is true, once you have this plant, you have it, but to me it's the best plant for attracting bees and it's edible.

Spiderwort (Tradescantia virginiana) http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=m630

Pink Woodsorrel (Oxalis debilis) https://www.landscapeofus.com/garden/pink-wood-sorrel-oxalis-crassipes/

This is not native, but it has naturalized very well here in Florida and it's the best looking plant (aka weed) and some buy it as a plant from nurseries. There is a related plant that has a yellow flower, but it's also a smaller plant (especially the size of the leaves) and I've noticed that it doesn't attract pollinators near as much as the pink variety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Than you! That is great information. I'm hesitant to use the betony, but pink woodsorel looks and sounds perfect! I'll be adding that one too the list for sure!

Ask a Question