Pole beans

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I planted them too early I’m sure. I’m in some 6 I honestly didn’t think they’d grow this fast since they grew so slow last year I started earlier. We will be having a 38 degree night next week. You think they’ll survive?

Attachments

• 404243A1-A4FE-4167-9A0E-B2757E21EB42.jpeg
    404243A1-A4FE-4167-9A0E-B2757E21EB42.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 131
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted them too early I’m sure. I’m in some 6 I honestly didn’t think they’d grow this fast since they grew so slow last year I started earlier. We will be having a 38 degree night next week. You think they’ll survive?
They will survive ok. They will just stop growing as fast but they will catch up as long as it doesn't frost.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
ChelswannabeGT,

Yours should be fine. I have three different types of pole beans that recently survived two consecutive nights of 32 deg low temp. They are just fine....and about the same size as yours.
pole beans 2019.JPG

Make sure they are well watered ahead of the expected lows.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, we can several quarts of green beans, pickle several jars of the yard long beans, and freeze several gallons of mature pinto type beans. We like 'em a lot!
Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Pole beans can be earthed up (like you would hill potatoes) to the top of the stem, to protect that part from frost, then cover the tops with horticultural fleece, or kitchen paper towel, pinned down, around them.
How hardy plants are is, to some extent, defined by the conditions they have already had; if they've been protected from cold and wind, this will compromise their natural hardiness.

Ask a Question