Plants You Can Regrow

Reaction score
Country
United States
I came across this article and wanted to share it. I have successfully regrown basil, garlic, and onions so far and am excited to try some more!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've done cabbage, horseradish, beets, carrots, potatoes, turnips, celery.

Note, the water should be changed every couple days or it becomes toxic to the plants.

Also, this is a good method for keeping various vegetables fresher , I often buy discount beets, cabbage and celery then place them in a tray with water to plump them back up. No refrigerator needed!

Reaction score
Country
United States
A wide variety of market produce can be used as a source of propagules or seeds, though some grow more easily and with more impressive results.

My favourite suggestion is to grow a beautiful silver-leaved Bromeliad houseplant (or garden plant) from the leafy topknot of a Pineapple (Ananas comosus). Just twist off the topknot and plant it directly into moist but well-draining soil. Give it a warm location and full sun to bright indirect light. It should root easily. I have one such plant I propagated several years ago that is now over two feet wide and tall. It even produced a small pineapple for me one year. Another smaller plant I left out in the garden over Winter, in the ground, in amended clay, with full exposure to the open sky. It is doing perfectly fine without any cold damage. That is more a testament to climate change than the hardiness of Pineapples but it is quite notable, nonetheless.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A wide variety of market produce can be used as a source of propagules or seeds, though some grow more easily and with more impressive results.

My favourite suggestion is to grow a beautiful silver-leaved Bromeliad houseplant (or garden plant) from the leafy topknot of a Pineapple (Ananas comosus). Just twist off the topknot and plant it directly into moist but well-draining soil. Give it a warm location and full sun to bright indirect light. It should root easily. I have one such plant I propagated several years ago that is now over two feet wide and tall. It even produced a small pineapple for me one year. Another smaller plant I left out in the garden over Winter, in the ground, in amended clay, with full exposure to the open sky. It is doing perfectly fine without any cold damage. That is more a testament to climate change than the hardiness of Pineapples but it is quite notable, nonetheless.
That's really cool! Can you post a picture of the little pineapple you grew!? My friends dad had a pineapple plant he grew from a seed. It was part of his houseplant decor. It grew really big and healthy, about 5 feet tall!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll have to do that someday. I have a very cumbersome way of transferring and uploading photos involving two computers that don't talk to each other... but the next time I have the gumption to do it, I'll include some shots of my pineapples and other bromeliads.

Ask a Question