Plants that attract humming birds

Reaction score
I'd like to receive some of this heat too!:D Today, it was another cold day.
Here is another plant that hummingbirds like: Red Columbine.

Rufus%20Hummingbird%20&%20Red%20Columbine%20128%20(2).jpg

Nice picture Claudia, it almost looks unreal. Those Hummingbirds move so fast, their wings move like the Carpenter Bees wings. When you get a close look at the birds, they don't really look like birds and they don't really look like insects, as I stated earlier, they look like a combination, a hybrid of sorts. They move more like the Carpenter Bees because they are extremely quick, just like the Bees are. I had a Carpenter Bees nest close to my front porch. Most of the time I simply would ignore them, because they really do not pose a threat. One day, I was sweeping the front walk leading to my porch, and for reasons unbeknownst to me, I took the broom and took a quick swipe at one of the Carpenter Bees. It's almost as if it saw the broom swinging, because as soon as I swung, it quickly darted out of the way. I know, I shouldn't deliberately kill innocent creatures, and I didn't. I really wanted to see just how quick it was. Anyway, as I end my rambling post, the Hummingbird has that same type of quickness. And NO, I didn't take a swing at any of the beautiful Hummingbirds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Good:) . Killing a Hummingbird would be extremely cruel, they're such cute creatures and they seem so fragile. I haven't seen any of them in real life and somehow I always imagined that they move rather slowly. It's always good to learn something new:)
Rose of Sharon is another plant that attracts them:

6G1G7P1Z7SKLF8L7-630x472.jpg

Reaction score
Here's an interesting video about the Alaskan Hummingbird which looks a little bigger that the ones I've seen, but you can definitely see how quick they are.... and I'd never harm one of God's precious creatures.. should not have swung at the bee..

Reaction score
Humming birds are some of the prettiest creatures I have ever seen.
Agastache 'Firebird'
Azalea
Butterfly Bush (Buddleia)
Cape Honeysuckle
Flame Acanthus
Flowering Quince
Lantana
Coral Honeysuckle
Cypress Vine
Morning Glory
Mimosa
Canna
Cardinal Flower
Columbine
Coral Bells
Four O'Clocks flowers
Hosta
Scarlet Runner Bean
Trumpet Creeper
Bee Balm (Monarda)
Lupine
Foxglove
Yucca
are some of the flowers/plants that attract humming birds.
I have seen one around a Agastache 'Firebird' plant a few years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Taskeinc, the video is more than adorable, thank you for sharing it:D . They really move fast! Now I understand what you meant by saying that they're something between a bird and an insect. They're so cute!
Here is another picture:

Humming_Bird_1.JPG

Reaction score
Last summer my Butterfly Bush got a little out of hand but what was interesting is that it appeared to be it's own little ecosystem. I'd see the occasional hummingbird, tons of butterflies (pretty large butterflies), Carpenter Bees, and large, colorful, spiders. The spiders would have a few webs spun throughout the bush and often, some unlucky butterfly would get caught in the Spider's web. I would just sit and watch sometimes, but never interfere, just allow nature to take its course. Spiders have to eat too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never seen a Carpenter Bee, I had to google it...it's so big and dark! It looks dangerous:

Xylocopa+varipuncta.JPG

As for spiders - it's heartbreaking to know what they do to poor, beautiful butterflies. The world without them would be a better place. And it would be the best if Hummingbirds lived in every climate zone:D

Reaction score
Humming birds love my hyacinth vine and morning glories. I have a humming bird feeder in my yard but if I knew how much they love my flowers I would have saved my money. They love four o.'clocks too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Rzashida, after reading your post, I just had to google a hummingbird feeder, because this sounds so nice!:D
This is what I found, it's pretty, isn't it?:

hummingbird-feeder-parasol-bloomshcl.jpg

This is even prettier:

Mini-Blossom_20Stakes-473x473.jpg

Reaction score
Those are pretty Claudine, my hummingbird feeder is not that sophisticated. Birdfeeders do add beauty to a garden.Those are really nice, I never seen them on small stakes in the ground on stakes. Very cute!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm completely in love with some of these hummingbird feeders, I find them gorgeous, they look so romantic:D
I want hummingbirds in my garden!:D

PS-1007-2-3689.jpg

d-4008.jpg

Reaction score
I've never seen a Carpenter Bee, I had to google it...it's so big and dark! It looks dangerous:

Xylocopa+varipuncta.JPG

As for spiders - it's heartbreaking to know what they do to poor, beautiful butterflies. The world without them would be a better place. And it would be the best if Hummingbirds lived in every climate zone:D

As grotesque as spiders may be to some people (probably to most people), they have their place in the ecosystem and are valuable. Here are some of the benefits of spiders.

Reaction score
To be able to sit looking out onto your garden watching hummingbirds feeding must be awesome. They are such a pretty and different bird to have around.
I used to spend many an hour during the winter watching blue tits that I managed to entice to the garden with bacon-rind or fat balls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm sure that if I had hummingbirds in my garden, I'd watch them constantly. They're so beautiful.
I'd also buy a few hummingbird feeders because they make a lovely decoration:D

5859G_zoom.jpg

Ask a Question