Plants lost color when exposed to sunligh

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought some houseplants and since I was waiting for my Lechuza planters to arrive via mail I kept them in the gallery with full exposure to sunlight. I noticed that the 'Dracena' plant and 'Craigii Compacta' and another plant whose name I don't know starting turning brown. I watered them once every two days so I don't think it is a watering problem. I will be placing them in self watering containers soon. Does anyone know as to why they are losing color on exposure to sunlight? These were beautiful plants with green leaves. What should I do to for the leaves to regain their color. Should I just let them regain color naturally or should I chop the discolored leaves off?

Reaction score
Hi there, Salil! Well, I don't know what kind of plants you are talking about, but I'm going to guess they're shadow plants... some plants are not supposed to be exposed under direct sun light. Try and see if placing them away from the direct sunlight helps.

Reaction score
Some plants dislike sun very much, especially if they were marketed as indoor plants. If you have more than one, try putting one in a more shaded region of your house and see what happens.

Reaction score
I know this part has been said already, but it's more than likely that they're plants that are supposed to be either in full or part shade. Some plants can't handle the sun for too long and it actually burns the leaves and causes it to turn brown or die like you said. Aside from that, though, were there any other changes in how the plants were handled, or even the temperature/humidity of the room they were in? I'm not familiar with the names you mentioned but some plants are very sensitive to the environment and can't grow in certain conditions. More than likely though it's probably just that they shouldn't be in full sun.

Reaction score
I have had a couple of plants that could not handle any direct sunlight. My bromeliad looked burned when it was placed on a table that got a little direct light through the window. Try keeping them away from windows so they get totally filtered light, that is probably what they are wanting. Some plants will fade if they get too much sun as well, like shade ivy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion you should chop the discolored leaves off and move your plants to a different place. Also, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to water them every two days. I used to water my miniature roses very often too and it killed some of them:( Now, I do this only once a week.

Ask a Question