Planting your Christmas tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I've have always wondered if anyone really plants a evergreen tree after the holidays. Depending on where you live, how would you keep it from dying if the ground is too hard to dig up? This was my main issue when I used to buy live evergreens. Has anyone had any success with this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've have always wondered if anyone really plants a evergreen tree after the holidays. Depending on where you live, how would you keep it from dying if the ground is too hard to dig up? This was my main issue when I used to buy live evergreens. Has anyone had any success with this?
A lot of folks here Texas buy living Xmas trees. They come in a good sized pot so all you have to do is water them until planting them out

Reaction score
I have heard that you cannot plant a live, growing evergreen out into a frozen yard because it will give a shock to the plant! Going dormant apparently takes a bit of time, and a tree apparetly does not take freezing until it is dormant. So, it may be better to treat the tree as a houseplant until spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My parents almost always buy a live tree for Christmas and then plant it out in the yard after the holidays are over. Some of their trees from years past are getting huge now. It really just depends on where you live. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we grow evergreen trees like weeds around here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My friend always buys live christmas trees in pots and then he plants them in his garden. They look lovely:)
Unfortunately, my parents prefer artificial trees:(

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read someplace that you can purchase the tree with a large soil ball in a pot with the plan to plant the tree during the spring depending on where you live. It is cold in my area so I would have to purchase the tree in a pot if I wanted to keep it for later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Well it's obvious to me that the Christmas trees that I purchased probably would not have survived because they were cut. I'd probably could get a smaller potted evergreen though I'd have to find somewhere in Ohio that sells them. Great info, thanks.

Reaction score
MrsJones I am also in the Midwest and this idea is new to me! All the trees I have ever seen have been simply precut. Of course you can chop down your own, but, alas, still cut. I think it would be neat to be able to plant the tree after enjoying it in the home.

Ask a Question