Planting Today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Planted some native - wildflowers and drought tolerant plants (flowers) today. Using the green house primarily for the misting irrigation during germination and not not so much for warmth. Most of these plants should look forward to cool temperatures, low 40's as lowest probably. A few are supposed to be in peat pots as they don't like transplanting, but I'll be trying that later. I tried many of these last year but planted late and didn't do a good job with them.

I'll be watching the Papaver rhoeas especially as they are the ones covered, darkness for germination. Both trays are the same, once things are germinated one tray will go outside and one might stay in the greenhouse, something like that, that was the point of two like trays, variation with growing location.

Many are very small seeds (annual wildflowers) that are pressed into the surface and not really sub-surface. Last year I planted too lightly and thinly, this year more of a through sprinkling all over the surface. With the native - wildflowers it's typically it's large area and fairly heavy broadcasting so heavy sprinkling in the little pots. Salvia and Lupinus subcarnosus (mostly the perennials) were typically larger seeds and far fewer seeds were used, 5 maybe.

These are the (in mild climates) sow in fall native - wildflowers and drought tolerant plants. In a couple weeks I'll be working on more typical 6 - 8 before last frost plants in the greenhouse.
-
Also planted some sweet peas and my wife planted some freesias.

Common Name - Botanical Name
  1. White Yarrow - Achillea millefolium
  2. "Summer Pastel Yarrow" - Achillea
  3. Plains Coreopsis - Coreopsis tinctoria
  4. Tidy Tips - Layia platyglossa
  5. Scarlet Flax - "Linum grandiflorum rubrum"
  6. Blue Bedder Sage - Salvia
  7. Gaillardia - Gaillardia Grandiflora
  8. "Gaillardia Mixed Colors" - Gaillardia Grandiflora
  9. Texas Bluebonnet - Lupinus subcarnosus
  10. "Dwarf Toadflax (Dwarf Snapdragon)" - Linaria maroccana
  11. Lewis Flax (Blue) - Linum lewisii
  12. "Shirley Poppy 'Diane's Mix” - Papaver rhoeas
  13. Purple Coneflower - Echinaceae
  14. "Showy Eve Primrose"- Oenothera speciosa
  15. Desert Marigold - Baileya multiradiata

GH 1262016s.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Yesterday I noted some Tidy Tips had germinated... in 2 days. Both trays.

20161109_153211.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one Greenhorn :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Everything is moving right along. Picture don't show so well, only one lagging, #13 Echinaceae (Purple Coneflower). 1 picture of each tray, same seeds in each. Germination pretty consistent overall.

2015-11-15GH 1.JPG

2015-11-15GH 2.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Things are moving right along :) West side table about full and lots of good germination.

The original planting same as above (planted 11-6-2016).
20161128_124724.jpg

With the pots I used mixed seed packs i.e., Xeriscape Wildflowers, Annual Cut Flower Mix, Mixed Fragrant Flowers, Hummingbird Wildflower Mix, Perennial Mix Cut Flower Mixture (planted 11-15-2016)
20161128_124730.jpg

Some backup sweet pea flowers (planted 11-13-2016). Most will suggest they don't transplant well, but I've had then work before. Try peat trays, not my favorite ;) Got to have some backup in case there is problems with the one I planted in the ground already. LOove sweet peas. Note interesting germination pattern.. There are 7 different seed types and rows 1,2 and 6-7 rows have not germinated and they are 3 of the 7 unique.
20161128_124718.jpg

Below the two near sets of 4" pots are new (planted 11-18-2016) and a few have just started germinating. Note I'm trying plastic and peat pots as many don't like to be transplanted and peat pots are suggested. Don't like peat pots but giving it a try here too... Each row of 3 is a seed type and has 1 plastic pot and 2 peat.

Common Name - Botanical Name

• Eschscholzia California - California Poppy
  • Eschscholzia California - California Poppy
  • Lupinus - Arroyo Lupines
  • Phacelia campanularia - Desert Bluebells
  • Gazania - Sunshine Gazinia
  • Ratibida columnifera - Prairie Coneflower
  • Gypsophila - Baby's Breath
  • Verbena tenuisecta - Moss Verbena
  • Gilia Tricolor - Bird's Eye
  • Dimorphotheca sinuata - African Daisy
20161128_124646.jpg

To grow them in Zone 10 in the winter would probably require a green house or indoor environment for most if not all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Here is how the first group has progressed.
Started here

GH 1262016s.jpg

Middle
20161128_124724.jpg

One of the trays of 15 has turned into this 15 (below). They all turned out pretty good.

20170111_154702.jpg

The other tray of 15 remains in the 4" pots for now, I hope to put them into the ground soon. To be honest they are getting a little root bound in the 4" pots. I need to get a move on !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Great work Greenhorn There are a lot of us looking in your greenhouse :whistle:....you got Happy plants :)

Ask a Question