Planting leggy seedlings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the words of a hopeless romantic!

Seriously, how high do you support the celebrity?

Also, top roots can come because of top nutrients. I have starfished carrots proving that one.
Carrots and tomatoes are two animals and starfished carrots and above ground roots on tomatoes don't have much in common. It is true that starfished carrots is caused by a little too much fertilizer but above ground roots on tomatoes is more of a varietal and climatic issue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't care less about the plants. My entire goal is tomatoes but if you don't have a big plant you won't get big production.
I bet $100 to a bucket of shit that you've never actually measured the difference between harvests. Just thought, "Uh-oh, these are leggy, better bury them deep, because I read it somewhere."

Where did you learn to plant them deep?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bet $100 to a bucket of shit that you've never actually measured the difference between harvests. Just thought, "Uh-oh, these are leggy, better bury them deep, because I read it somewhere."

Where did you learn to plant them deep?
From my dad. When I was a little kid my parents had a truck farm. I have planted them sideways, at an angle and straight down I see no difference in production. For me in this climate straight down works best for a couple reasons. I guess #1 is for drip irrigation and weeding. #2 is for close planting for sunscald. #3 is for moisture retention while the plant is young.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Chuck, you know I wouldn't doubt your honesty, so give it a try? If you can honestly tell me afterwards that planting deeper did not make your tomatoes later, I'll accept that.

Ask a Question